Mac OS X 10.5.6 Shutting Down Spontaneously

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aussiechick7738, Feb 13, 2009.

1. aussiechick7738 macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2009
    Hey there. My mac os x 10.5.6, (2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM) keeps shutting itself down spontaneously - no error message occurs before or after it shuts down, and when i press the power button on my mac i get no response.

I have to turn it off at the power point and turn it on again.

I have a power surge board and only my mac is plugged into it so i'm pretty sure it's not a surge problem.

It seems to mainly happen when the screen saver comes on, and i have checked all of my system preferences and i havn't selected to turn off hard disk's at any time etc. I have no idea why it's doing any of this!

My mac is only 5 months old.. can someone please help me out!?

Thank you in advance
  2. cudo macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2007
    w bloku
    if you are using speed download or other download manager of for that matter any other app which may have a timer option built in. try to check if you havent got it checked. i had the same with SD as it was set to shut down on download completion.
  3. aussiechick7738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2009

no, it always shut's down right after the screen goes to sleep, (and i have fiddles around and changed the timing of that, each time the same thing occurs).

Also, when i shut the computer down, i cannot simply turn it back on at the mac power button, i have to turn it off at the power point for it to turn back on again. Very frustraiting!

i have checked whether it's a power surge problem and it is not (i use a power surge protection board, and other appliances connected to it work fine snd continue to work even when my mac isn't).
  4. PeaceOut macrumors member

May 17, 2008
    I've had something like this happen to me once.
    I was just using the computer with the power pluged in and all of a sudden the screen goes blank.

The computer had powered closing applications and shutting down...just powered off.

At that moment, the charger light indicator went from green to amber. I pushed the power button and it came back and the battery power was down to 0%.

This doesn't sound like what's happening with you but I thought I'd share this as you can be experiencing a battery problem also. This only happen to me once and I can't figure out for the life of me what exactly happened. I did do a PRAM reset and it hasn't happen since.

But upon reading on the internet, it seems to be a battery problem. I'd call Apple Care.
  5. Consultant macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    Disk utilty: repair permissions, repair disk

Ever since the first time you used it?
  6. interconnect macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2007
    is this a macbook or macbook pro? there's a whole website dedicated to this problem:

this happened to my girlfriends macbook pro, it turned out to be the battery. we brought it in to the apple store, they gave her a new battery and it's never happened again.
  7. aussiechick7738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2009
    no, it started about 3 weeks ago. one minute i was listening to music on itunes and the next it had shut down.
  8. aussiechick7738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2009
    not a macbook.

its a Mac OS X 10.5.6, just a desktop.