Mac OS X 10.5 features you can't live without?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iCeFuSiOn, Feb 5, 2008.

1. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

So, I've done some research and I've noticed that there are several enhancements in Mac OS X 10.5 that make it an absolute dream to work with compared to previous versions. I want to know what features or enhancements you've noticed in 10.5 that you can't live without.

Here's my list:

1. "Arrange by" and "Clean up" available from Context Menu and Action button in the Finder.
    2. Fine-tuned volume control using Option-Shift and then pressing the appropriate volume key on your keyboard.
    3. The ability to have more than one folder selected for custom backgrounds (especially useful when your backgrounds are sorted, eg: Abstract, Nature, Vector, etc).
    4. Easier Windows network share browsing in the Finder.
    5. AirPort menu responds almost instantly whereas in Tiger it seemed to lag a bit.
    6. Cleaner user interface overall.
    7. Quick Look saves me lots of time.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

1. Time machine
    2. Spaces
    3. Icon previews/Quick Look
    4. Keyboard shortcut for View > Arrange By
    5. New Finder
    6. Overall look (using other Tiger machines is painful)
    7. Screen Sharing through Finder

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Spaces & Stacks are the headliners for me - both of which I use dozens of times per day.

It has to be said, though, that Leopard has been a very positive experience for me generally.

4. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for pointing that one out, I didn't even notice it.

5. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Forgot to mention this one:

1. Finder doesn't hang up when accessing CD drives or slow network shares

6. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

7. eswank macrumors 6502

1. Time Machine
    2. Stacks
    3. Spaces
    4. Quick Look

8. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I can live without anything but clothes, shelter, food and safe drinking water.

Just kidding! hehehe

Well I'd have to say Spaces and Quick Look. Apart from those I don't really see anything special in 10.5.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

For me Quick Look is really the only thing I value much over Tiger.

10. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, and Stacks.

11. twig macrumors member

1. Quick look is a huge timesaver.
    2. Time machine is nice to have, even if I've only used to recover one less-than-critical file.
    3. Screen-sharing in iChat (at least I think it will be really useful if I can ever manage to configure my router to allow it)
    4. Stacks are nice, but not in the "can't live without it" category

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

• Quicklook
    • Borderless QT windows
    • Background apps without holding CMD
    • Download stack
    • Mail progress bar
    • Quick Pages start-up
    • Wikipedia in Dictionary
    • Cleaned up Network Preference pane
    • Help menu search

13. acxz macrumors regular

Definitely Quick Look and Stacks. The Cover Flow view in the Finder is a great bit of eyecandy too, especially with the Applications folder.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Quicklook and coverflow are REALLY nice. My big gripe with OS X was that "Preview" didn't function the same as in Windows, where you could advance through photos in a directory and display each one very easily. Coverflow does this quite well, and in fact does the job better than in Vista (where the new version there is actually less functional than in XP).

I LOVE the tabbed terminal windows in the new terminal.app. I have to ssh and sftp into a lot of *nix servers through the day, and having things neatly arranged in tabs is much easier for me than having to juggle a dozen individual windows (though of course, PuTTY on a PC is even worse).

Lastly, I really like Stacks. I think I keep hearing people complain about it, but it's really made life on a Mac easier for me.

Could I live without these features? Yeah, I could. But going back to tiger now feels kinda awkward.

15. kolax macrumors G3

Didn't know about Option + Shift + Volume, that's cool!

My list:

Scrolling non-active windows
    Time Machine
    Quick Look
    Sharing so easy
    Finder Sidebar
    Stacks
    Guest account

To rattle off the top of my head the now.

16. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The things that have really improved my daily computer life are:

• Quick Look: A really great feature. I use it all the time
    • Spaces: Very convenient. I have created 6 Spaces to manage all my open apps
    • Stacks: Especially the Downloads Stack I use everyday
    • Time Machine: It has saved my files a couple of times. I didn't expect it to be so valuable.
    • Finder: It's better than on Tiger but still far from perfect

17. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I'd have to go with Quick Look and Spaces. I like the Finder from Tiger better than the one in Leopard, however. You could set it to a specific size, and it would open that way with every new window. Cover Flow in the Finder seems like it could be great, but the previews load way too slow to be usable.

18. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Ditto!

That's awesome!

For me: (Although they're pretty much what everyone else has said)

- Spaces. Spaces. Spaces. I wouldn't be able to go back to Tiger without them... not that I want to or will do!!!
    - The look of Leopard - I love the dock, the UI and the menu bar... it all.
    - the slight core animation there is in apps. There'll be a LOT more soon, though...
    -Dashcode

Stacks is a nice one but I managed fine without it. It's nice but not essential.

However, I was just comparing to Tiger... Windows, on the other hand, well... that's a different story (*Tries to squeeze a bog-standard PC mouse at school to activate expose and feels like a pillac*)

19. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Quicklook and the fact that it doesn't crash when a Network share is disconnected spontaneously.

20. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Quicklook!

(Though "can't live without" is stronger than I'd put it. More like a feature I "would hate to compute without.")

Edit:

Oh yeah, and the vastly improved Print window!
    and not locking up when a network volume is disconnected!
    and... lots more!

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

these four for me too. I also really like screen sharing over ichat, but it's not essential.

22. saxman macrumors 6502

Although I could live without them, my computer time is much enhanced by:

Quicklook
    Finder not hanging when a network share is no longer available

I use spaces and stacks somewhat, but a more stable finder and quicklook have been very productive

23. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I really like spaces and Stacks no mess allowed on my desktop I have always been like that I had a hard time with that in windows and now there is usually only one thing on there my Hard Drive I also like the the new UI really nice and for god sakes consitency if it were only more stable and had less bugs I would really love it. It would be the best i have ever used but that has yet to come true Time machine is excellent as well I forgot about that one and I'm using it right now see that's how good it is.

24. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

1. Time Machine! This has saved me a lot of grief.
    2. Spaces, Stacks, Quicklook, the GUI, all nice.

Sorry but what is it? I tried Googling but didn't come up with anything. Thanks! :)

Um. I had less on my desktop in Windows than I do in Leopard. I now keep my drives on the desktop where in windows it was completely empty so as not to soil my background image. Instead of the quicklaunch bar I had it set to "desktop" so that all the icons it though were on the desktop came up in my startbar. Not saying I don't like Stacks (I do) just that you shouldn't blame the messy desktop on Windows. ;)

25. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just go to the Finder and in the menu bar click on View > Arrange by and it will show you the list of view items along with their respective keyboard shortcuts.