Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nikiski, Nov 13, 2007.

1. nikiski macrumors regular

Hey guys, I've been wanting to start this thread for a while, and seeing that most people posting here are either having problems or questions about Leopard here, why can't we appreciate the hard work Apple developers have put into this wonderful Operating System? ;)

I seriously doubt if any Apple staff will actually read this, but whatever. They do deserve to be thanked. :)

And, please kindly keep this thread's purpose: to thank the guys in Apple.

Thanks for your participation in advance! :)

Happy :apple: day. And don't forget to help each other out on the forums!

2. DENZIE macrumors member

DENZIE

Leopard rocks!!! how is it that it runs faster on older hardware than previous releases??? So contrary to the dark side :D The new features are fantastic!!

3. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

For me Leopard is a huge improvement over Tiger (and I didn't think Tiger was all that bad!) Some excellent new features and improvements to existing ones. There's obviously been a great deal of attention to detail by the Apple Developers and you're quite right: credit where credit's due!

Did you read that Apple are selling more copies of OS X than Microsoft are selling Windows (stand alone) in Japan? (http://tinyurl.com/2ek3g2) Hardly surprising really and long may it continue.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, I think Leopard is a very big achievement for Apple. Most of the changes are under the hood, but believe me, in a year or so, where the wow factor will be more evident in future applications that utilize all of leopard's capabilities, we will praise Apple for what they have done.

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Thank you programmers or coders what ever you are called

Huge THANKS :apple:
    Kicking butt in Japan and soon in the US. :D

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'd go so far as to say Leopard rulez*

*Notice the z at the end, implying that 's' is not worthy of being at the end of a word describing Leopard

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Leopard is as smooth as butter for me. Without a doubt the best, most productive, most fun to use OS I've ever used!

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A positive thread....NO WAY!

Leopard is to me the most important OS X update since they added core audio in Jaguar. A really nice OS, a stellar OS.

9. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Leopard is such a great achievement for Apple and the developers who worked on it in the past 2 years. As with any computer program that consists of more than 90 million lines of code, problems and bugs are to be expected. :p

I've been using Leopard on my last-gen iBook since release. Absolutely no issues. I love the new Dock, transparent menu bar, and Stacks. So there! :)

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I really like Leopard. I keep reading about "issues" people are having with apps like PS and I've not experienced any of those. As far as I'm concerned Leopard is a huge step forward. I love Quick Look and the improved Preview, Mail's so much more useful and the little extra features in Safari like movable tabs is such a convenience.

I've not utilised Spaces yet but will give it a try and Time Machine isn't that useful for me (I'm using a MBP and I'm use to backing up my Home folder manually) but overall Leopard puts other OS's like Vista to shame in that it is far more useful and everything has a purpose.

11. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Although I'm VERY impressed with how Leopard installs and runs on a new Macbook Pro and Aluminum iMac...

...I'm MORE impressed with how Leopard installs and runs on my kid's iMac G4 1.25ghz. Wow.

THANKS

12. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I'd appreciate it a whole lot more if Apple got off their lazy ashes and released a new Mac Pro to go with it. :mad:

The Mac Pro design team must be on an 18 month sabbatical. :rolleyes:

13. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Minor nitpicks aside, I love Leopard. I think it trumps Tiger in just about every category.

14. GNice macrumors 6502

+1

Sure there are a few things I could pick at...but all in all leopard is GREAT! I did an "upgrade" install with ZERO problems. I hope to see a few changes, but it's crazy to think a) they could possibly please each and every one of us and b) they would get everything right on day 1.

10.5 was a great start and I think we will see each an every release improve on it!

15. Enigmur macrumors newbie

Have had no issues except for Guitar Pro not working – and that’s because their software developers are lazy.

I haven’t found a con about Leopard yet, every single interface change I’ve come across is better than Tiger – navigation is so much easier now. Keep in mind I’ve only been using tiger for a few weeks and I know what I find useful, change isn’t an issue for me.

16. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Leopard has been my first OS upgrade since switching to the Mac, and it couldn't have gone better!

The new features are really useful, my personal favourite is Quicklook, great for not having to open the app to look at stuff. The new eye candy is nice too, and the redesigned Finder is excellent.

I agree, stuff just seems snappier, I'm running it on my Macbook Pro, and though Tiger was never slow, Leopard feels really speedy! I don't have to wait for spotlight any more, its got my answer before I've finished typing!
    Strangely I also think that iPhoto has got faster, it used to have to bounce a good few times, then load the library, now its good within seconds after I hit the icon, and stuff in general just seems speedier.

If Safari 3 gets support for the little 'website icons' (there real name escapes me) so that I can set my bookmarks bar to be like Camino: just a bunch of symbols.

I'm very, very impressed with Leopard, it truly is a big step up from Tiger, not just in new features, but in stability/consistency/speed as well.

I'm even more excited about installing it on my G5 iMac and iBook back home, cause I can't wait to see the new lease of life Leopard gives them, considering what its done for my 4 month old MBP! :)

17. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Actually, I think Vista is a very big achievement for Microsoft. Most of the changes are under the hood, but believe me, in a year or so, where the wow factor will be more evident in future applicaiton that utilize all of vista's capabilities, we will praise Microsoft for what they have done.

18. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Cool

In a year or two or three you can start a Vista appreciation thread on a Vista forum. Until that time you can enjoy Leopard now. WOW! :cool:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209837,00.asp

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

opps, you forgot that they scrapped all the cool things they showed off in Longhorn.......

With out a new file system they have nothing.

20. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Leopards UI is so elegant, I just kind of realized how different my UI almost seems to adapt to a different wallpaper, really awesome. I can't really describe it, but flip through wallpapers and you'll see what I mean (I think).

21. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

They have a fixed version available now, a beta 5.3b1, appears to work OK on Leopard.