Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: Peachpit Learning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 31, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am interested in learning more about Leopard, but I am new to Mac and don't want a book that is hard to understand. Is this a good book? Your thoughts and recommendations.

[​IMG]

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

From what I can see in the Amazon reviews of this book, most say it's a good book for beginners. Same sort of reviews with another book called "The Little Mac Book, Leopard Edition".

If you need anything more advanced, your best bet is to search it on Google or Mac related sites/forums like this one. We're always here to help, so feel free to ask anything no matter how dumb you think it sounds. Just make sure to search the forums first and see if someone else had a similar problem and found a solution.

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I've heard great things about a book called "the missing manual."

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Best book out there IMHO highly recommended for switchers, cheap also " the missing manual"

5. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Depends on your computer skill level. I have both the Peachpit book and Pogue's Missing Manual. The Peachpit is well written and very easy to understand. It doesn't go into details as fully as the Missing Manual. So if you are beginning in all things computers, I'd recommend Peachpit. If you're used to Windows and are new to Apple, the Missing Manual may be better. It covers subjects more fully, but expects you to know something about computers. Hope this helps,
    Morod

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep good point that best not presume anything as the OP didn't state his/hers computer skills to start with

7. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i'm fairly new to switching (switched last november? i still consider myself abit of a newbie) so thought i'd give my 2 cents...

i didn't use any book or anything, but consider myself to know alot about the os. but, i am very computer literate. i'm also a student, so had a fair bit of time on my hands. i basically just read the stuff on the apple site and spent abit of time on here. u also get to know it well from experience.

8. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

You guys are the BEST! I am going to check out the two books today and see which fits my experience.

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You could also get the Lynda.com video Tutorials about OS X. Lynda.com ROCKS.