mac os x 10.5 screwed up my imac g4.. help?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hucchund22, Jul 22, 2010.

1. hucchund22 macrumors member

i just upgraded my imac g4 from 10.3 to 10.5.. 10.5 was successfully installed but after i updated it, that's where my problem began..

1. after finishing the updates, it restarted by itself but after restarting, it won't get past the gray screen, and the screen displayed was this:
    39048_1395446726091_1229907395_31016269_3421972_n.jpg so i tried to power off the pc by pressing the power button, but didn't work.. so i just turned it off by turning off the main switch..

2. after number 1, i tried to turn on the imac but the screen was blank/black but i can feel the fans turning.. what could this be? so i turned it off just like how i did it in number 1..

3. turned on the imac, and then everything started normally..

conclusion: are the problems above a potential problem for my imac? did i make a mistake by jumping to 10.5 rather than 10.4?? thanks..

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It after updating to 10.5.8 it should have restarted by itself at least once. You may have interrupted this restart. My suggestion is to try to reinstall the 10.5.8 Combo update. If it still freezes on the automatic restart then it might be a problem.

3. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Jumping from one operating system to another shouldn't pose a threat to your system. From the picture it looks as if it could be a Logic board or GPU problem as that messed up square doesn't look to healthy. When you booted your system the second time, you got a blank screen, again this could an issue with your GPU, Ram, or Logic Board. Most likely you should check your ram.

You mention "Everything started normally" do you mean it is now booting OS X?

I reccomend that you back up your data as you don't know what's going to happen if the next few weeks, or if the system will continue to boot properly the next time you start it.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

5. hucchund22 thread starter macrumors member

it started normally after the third try.. and then the next day, i updated it again.. but after restarting, it takes a long time for it to pass the gray screen.. so i decided to reformat my hard drive and install 10.4.. it feels safer for me than 10.5.. ehehe,, now it's running 10.4 and i don't have any problems with it..

in conclusion, tiger for me is the "safer choice" for my imac g4.. :D

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

It sounds like your 10.5 install media may be bad.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Sounds like you were impatient. It will sit on that grey screen for some time before finally booting up when you first install an OS update, especially Leopard. The garbled up Apple icon doesn't look too healthy. Restarting it during this period could corrupt system files and cause it to not boot.

Do you have a Leopard retail disc? I'd recommend doing a fresh install and updating it again but this time let it sit there for at least a half hour if needed to.

Now that I think about it, I had the same iMac and it sat at the grey screen for like 5-10 minutes after updating to 10.5.8.

8. hucchund22 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i got afraid when i updated my imac the second time.. booting up longer after the updates made me scared.. hehehe.. maybe the updates screwed up something, i just don't want to take the risk.. :p

i have the family pack of 10.5 so i don't think the disc is bad.. but i'm not sure..

i'm not regretting going back to 10.4 because the 10.5 was a bit sluggish with my imac..

:D:D:D