Mac OS X 10.6.2/Firefox and Adobe Reader

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NMBPro, Nov 17, 2009.

1. NMBPro macrumors newbie

Before the latest Snow Leopard upgrade (10.6.2) came along, I was able to designate Adobe Reader 9.2 as the default pdf viewer in Firefox 3.5.5. No longer. Now, even though I have Adobe Reader specified in Firefox Applications as the preferred pdf reader, it automatically defaults to Preview.

Personally I like Preview, but the United States Postal Service specifies AR as the preferred pdf program for those who wish to purchase and print mailing labels on-line. Has anyone else encountered this problem. Is there any fix?

I'd even use Safari on the postal service site if I could set AR as the default pdf reader.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The U.S Postal Service doesn't know about Preview or any other PDF reader accept for Adobe since it's been the defacto standard. Don't fall for that. If the docs are readable, which they should be, then you don't need Adobe Reader. In fact, many people have reported conflicts with Adobe Reader being installed because of Preview. You don't need it.

3. NMBPro thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem mysteriously resolved

Thanks for your response. I just went to the USPS web site because I needed to purchase and print a mailing label. Sure enough, as in the past, when I clicked the "Pay and Print" label, Adobe Reader opened and displayed the mailing label ready to be printed. I don't know what changed, but everything appears to be working fine again.

Come the next time I need a mailing label, I'm going to change the Firefox Applications pdf reader default to Preview and see what happens. I tend to think it won't work, especially when the postal service specifies Adobe Reader as the software that is required.