Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninquewylia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I have a late 2009 macbook with Mac OS X 10.6.6.
Since today morning, my mac is crashing with about everything. Every app I open up, browsers like Firefox or Safari, programs like Twitter. Even when I use the exposé. It just begins loading and that loading color circle appears, after that, everything stops. I try to restart Safari or even force to shut down programs, but the menus don't work.
I don't know what to do, I use Macs for three years now, first time it happens to me.
I'm using the guest account, I thought it would solve the problem, but eventually it crashes as well.

Does anybody know possible causes?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Try booting of your OS X disks, and verifying and repairing permissions from within disk utility.

ninquewylia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Try booting of your OS X disks, and verifying and repairing permissions from within disk utility.

Verify and Repair Permissions within Disk Utility. OK. I will try. Does it bring any side effects, as data loss or anything else I should know?

And thank you very much, sir!

ninquewylia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I tried to repair disks and permissions, it took awhile and everything seemed fine, but the problem of everything crashing still persists! I tried one more time and the problem continued.
I hope I won't have to reinstall my OS.
Is there any other possible solution?

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
What does Disk Utility have to say about your HD? Select your HD in the left hand column then down at the bottom of the window what does it say for S.M.A.R.T Status?
If it says it is Verified then I would try downloading and installing the 10.6.6 Combo Update. I realize you already have 10.6.6 but reinstalling the combo update has been known to fix system problems that occur from using the incremental delta updates. This will not harm your Mac in any way.

10.6.6 Combo Update

You could also try running AHT.

Apple Hardware Test

Last edited:

ninquewylia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
What does Disk Utility have to say about your HD? Select your HD in the left hand column then down at the bottom of the window what does it say for S.M.A.R.T Status?
If it says it is Verified then I would try downloading and installing the 10.6.6 Combo Update. I realize you already have 10.6.6 but reinstalling the combo update has been known to fix system problems that occur from using the incremental delta updates. This will not harm your Mac in any way.

10.6.6 Combo Update

You could also try running AHT.

Apple Hardware Test

The Apple Hardware Test shows everything is ok, so I downloaded the Combo Update.
The thing is... It shows that the installation process will take more 22 minutes, and it's been showing it for the last six hours (yes, this much). And, the installation is already running for eleven hours now. I'm not exaggerating. The only reason I didn't cancel it yet is that the progress bar sometimes move to the end.

kveroneau

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
If you have been utilizing Time Machine for your back-ups, a re-install of Mac OS X 10.6 might be your only choice if you have tried everything else already.

Unlike re-installing a Windoze PC, Time Machine makes it easy to get back up and running after an OS re-install.

If you have no back-ups of your system, and use FileVault, make note of your currently installed applications and back-up your FileVault using another admin account. Your FileVault can be found under /Users/.<username>, you will need to use Finder's Go To folder function to access it via the GUI. Then drag and drop this, or burn it to an external media. After your re-install, you can mount your old FileVault using your login password to restore your documents.

It's very unfortunate that a re-install may be needed, perhaps a local Apple Store can assist you in troubleshooting the issue further before considering a re-install.

Regardless, best of luck.

ninquewylia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
It sure sounds like your HD is bad. Again, what does S.M.A.R.T status say?

Disk Description : TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF
Media Total Capacity : 250,06 GB (250.059.350.016 Bytes)
Connection Bus : SATA
Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : Internal
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

It is Verified, so I did as you said and download the 10.6.6 combo. Hey, it is still installing the combo, I think it is around 17 hours of installation now. Luck I'm a patient guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.