Mac OS X 10.7.2 (Lion) and Capture Cards

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boscosket, Feb 4, 2012.

1. boscosket macrumors newbie

I am running on a 2.4 GHz intel core i5 MacBook Pro with OSX Lion. I am looking into capture cards. My primary goal is to capture video from VHS and encode it into a video file for playback on my computer. My other objectives would be to record from a TV (HD).

I am fully aware that VHS format is only going to give me a resolution of 300-420x48 0, so I am not super concerned about capturing HD quality video. Though, if I wanted to capture from a source that outputs higher resolutions, it would be nice to have that flexibility.

I am confused what to buy. I understand there is the elgato video capture device, igrabber, and among others. The reason I don't like these options is I question whether I need the software and the extra perks.

Must I use the software that comes with product? Can programs like MPEG-stream clip, handbrake, and premiere pro (I have CS4) talk with capture devices?

Basically, I'd like a cheap solution with out all the fat that comes with most the things I see.

Thanks a ton in advance.

2. briantology macrumors 6502

This probably isn't the cheapest solution, but I used to have one for capturing all sorts of analog video: Canopus ADVC110.

It connects via FireWire 400 and worked OOB with Final Cut. I don't think you'd have to install anything to get it to work with Premiere though, but I never used it with Premiere.