Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T0Mlol

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Basically, is the Developer version 4 the full version or is it still missing stuff? I was going to buy a dev account for iOS 5 and this and install this on my main system but I wonder if I should just wait until the full version comes out.

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
For iOS5, you could if you'd really want to. But Lion will be out in a month and from what I read here, you won't be able to upgrade from DP4 to the final version, so one wonders if it wouldn't be more wise to just wait a little month :)
I suspect the only thing being done now is spit & polish on DP4, I wouldn't expect anything extraordinary out of the blue.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
There are still a lot of bugs in this latest dev preview. I am also really eager for Lion, but it will be out in July sometime so I say wait.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
The Mac and iOS dev programs are separate so both together would cost you $200.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I would simply wait and even if you are installing it, I advise against upgrading your Snow Leopard partition. Simply install Lion on a different partition or on a USB hard drive or Flash Drive.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
from what I read here, you won't be able to upgrade from DP4 to the final version, so one wonders if it wouldn't be more wise to just wait a little month :)

Only Apple knows whether that's actually true. Everyone else (EVERYONE else) is just guessing.

Even so, you should be able to make an external clone of your disk and "migrate" from that to the final version with the migration assistant.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
A year ago it was certain you'd get Lion on a DVD, like the last 6 releases. Things change.

Yes, but writing was on the wall for digital distribution ever since the App Store, and Final Cut Pro X going App-store only. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the situation for upgrading from DP releases will change from past releases.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Yes, but writing was on the wall for digital distribution ever since the App Store, and Final Cut Pro X going App-store only. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the situation for upgrading from DP releases will change from past releases.

I didn't say there was. Just that no one here knows for certain. Anyway. Enough time spent on (probably) the least important bit of this thread...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.