Mac OS X 10.8 (or Mac OS XI)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arkmannj, Aug 1, 2011.

1. arkmannj macrumors 65816

arkmannj

So, now that we've all had some hands-on time with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) what do you think we can expect in the next big release... or rather, what would you like to see?

Here's a few ideas just to get the ball rolling.

* Change caps lock functionality to require holding, or pressing anther modifier key along with it to activate it. (shift+caps lock for example)

* Resolution independence

* A bit more of a "spaces flavor added to misson control
    * Quicktime to its former glory.
    * tabbed finder
    * be able to reorder objects in the left sidebar in the finder (favorites, devices,etc.)
    * more granular access permissions/parental controls.

and so on and so forth.

before someone gets upset that we just got Lion and I'm already looking to the future remember that I"m sure Apple's engineers and designers are already looking at things.

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Why? It's already had a delay since 2006.

3. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

really ? hmm. well maybe it's just me but mine still seems to click on instantly (I actually have it altogether disabled now) For me it's an accessibility issue. I cannot move my left two fingers independently (and have other mobility issues in that hand) so often it gets tapped accidentally.

I'd like to still use the caps lock, but how it is now still seems to "instant" for me. I know I'm a special case but heck if I'm going to throw out wish list items then that would be a configurable item i'd like to see.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I disabled my caps lock in System Preferences way back when... I just tapped it to make sure it is still de-clawed and sure enough it is outa my way.

I agree that a tabbed finder would be nice. Cut would be nice in finder without having to hold down a modifier key. I'd like to see Time Machine reworked to be more tolerant of varying network connections. If crashplan can work over the internet, Time Machine should be able to work reliably over 802.11a,b,g and not just n. As for resolution independence, I think Apple has thrown in the towel on that one and has opted to resort to "pixel doubling" instead.

At some point, I expect iOS and OS X to be identical and both run on either X86 or ARM but the hardware ID of the machine invokes Lion mode vs iOS mode. Of course a high end iPad 3 could sport an Intel CPU and Lion mode. Now that could be nice, assuming they figure out how to make the entire OS finger friendly.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

It is simply not practical to have 100% true resolution independence with the entire OS's graphics, unless you don't want any fancy icons or textures anywhere.