Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks - 3 External Displays (Pictures)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bbb543, Sep 17, 2013.

1. bbb543 macrumors newbie

For about 2 years now I've been using multi-display with my Macbook Pro using a Matrox DualHead2Go adapter, which for those who don't know, allows you to add 2 (or 3 with TripleHead2Go) monitors to your laptop with an external USB video card. The problem with that option is that it just stretches the display across the additional monitors, so fullscreen mode is almost useless.

Naturally I was delighted to find that with Mavericks, Apple would be adding multi-display support, but to my dismay, the DH2GO still just stretched the display.

The only example I have seen of multi-displays on 10.9 is that one brief video, which I'm sure everyone has seen with the 6 additional monitors, so I was a bit wary to start trying new hardware, but I decided to bite the bullet and give it a go and since I haven't seen any other examples, I thought I'd share with everyone.

The adapter I bought is a USB 3.0 HIS MultiView X2, which was surprisingly affordable and works pretty good.

The adapter has an HDMI (and comes with and HDMV to DVI adapter cord) and DVI out on the back. So I have 2 monitors connected to the MultiView X2 and one using the ThunderBolt port.

[​IMG]
    Opened up several different apps and desktops, surprisingly doesn't eat up too much memory.

[​IMG]
    4 different apps in full screen mode (Left to right: Mail, Chrome, YouTube Video, HTML Editor). Everything worked very well. Was even able to put videos in full screen on 2 displays and it handled it very well.

[​IMG]
    Easy configuration. I wish there were a few more options available, but maybe later there will be.

[​IMG]
    Lot's of wires back there, but that little guy works great.

The only complaint I have is that the mouse tracking is a bit slow on the monitors attached to the adapter, but I assume that is due to the fact that not only the OS is in Beta, but the Drivers are also in Beta. When I connected the adapter to my Windows 8 system, it worked flawlessly.

But it's certainly a plus that their tech support team is fantastic and has been working with me to try and solve it.

Anyways, Just wanted to share. If anyone wants to see anything or have any questions feel free to ask and I can snap some more photos or take a video.

2. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I have one question. Where did you get that sticker from? :p

3. GWX macrumors newbie

I have a question. If you turn off the dedicated GPU, do the system and animations still run smooth? What model is your Macbook Pro?

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

That's what I wanna know too !!!! :D

Etsy ?

5. Miltz macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to disable or turn off the notebook screen so you can just use the keyboard and track-pad? I know Lion doesn't have that feature.

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. press the brightness keys until the display is "dark". :)

7. Miltz macrumors 6502a

Yes, obviously you can that. But the display is still "on". Correct?

8. Krazy Bill, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. It's still consuming power. Here is a terminal trick from my Lion days. It's the opposite of clamshell mode. I haven't used this in 10.9 though:

Disable:
    Code:
    sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"
    Enable:
    Code:
    sudo nvram -d boot-args
    Reboot after each command