Mac OS X 10 Lion: S.M.A.R.T. Failure

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by LilJohnGK, Jul 21, 2011.

1. LilJohnGK macrumors newbie

LilJohnGK

Hello All

Im new to the forums so please forgive me if this question is already resolved.

Yesterday I tried to install Mac OS X 10 Lion on my 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. I purchased and it downloaded the installer onto my iMac. I attempted to install Lion but once I accepted the terms and agreements i get this message.

Macintosh HD
    999.86 GB total 535.88 GB available
    This disc has S.M.A.R.T. errors. This disk has a hardware problem that can't be repaired. Back up as much of the data as possible and replace the disk.

I never had a problem with my computer and I still dont, what do I do?

Answers please.

Thank You!

-John

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The error message states that Lion thinks there are errors that indicate your drive is about to fail. I would have it checked. Or at least check it from SL. I use SMARTReporter, which is FREE.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've gotten this error on Tiger before. I found it rather odd, but I force it on. That hard drive is still working. 5 years later.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I looks like from the OP error message that Lion won't install on it though. If you could force would you? I would cancel the install, and from SL check the SMART status of the disk. Either using Disk Utility or another program.

5. eh777 macrumors newbie

6. chrfr macrumors 603

You might have a problem. What does Disk Utility report if you start up from the original DVD?
    I'd make sure that you have a good backup of everything, in case the disk actually is failing.

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

As eh777 said it looks like a known issue. The best thing to do is like chrfr said, check your disk. They do die sometimes, but since the SMART errors started en masse with Lion, I suspect a bug.