Mac OS X Airport says network is unsecured

Discussion in 'macOS' started by celticpride678, Oct 15, 2009.

1. celticpride678

When hitting option, and clicking on the Airport menu, under the security section, it says “None”. However, I know my network is secured. How can I make Mac OS X think that my network is secured? Thanks.

2. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

If your url is prefaced by https and not http, you are on a secure connection. If you don't see the padlock symbol
    under the airport logo, you are NOT on a secure router.

Go to your Airport Utility(in utilities, in applications folder) to see your choices of encryption, whether
    WEP or WPA and/or WPA2. WPA is better.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Apparently I did not explain myself well. My network is secured and working fine. However, Airport says that it is unsecured. I am wondering why this is. Also, a little note, I had to type in the key to connect, but it does not see that it is secured. Any help? Thanks.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Where are you that airport SAYS its unsecured? Be specific.

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

In the Airport Menu, by hitting the option key. I don’t think it is really that hard to understand, is it?

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I have NO idea what you are talking about or even asking. Good luck.

7. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

8. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

If you can be more specific about what kind of network you're on, what kind of router, etc... that would be a big help.

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

I think that he means clicking the "Advance" button under the network settings for his Airport network connection.

If it says "None" then you have no security setup. Did it ask you for the key when you connected?

10. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

No problem. I am on a WEP network. It is a NETGEAR WNR3500 Wireless Router. MacBook, Aluminum Late 2008. Snow Leopard 10.6.1

No, let me explain it again. When holding down the option key and clicking on the Airport menu, there is extra information about the network that shows up. One is “security”. My security says “None”. HOWEVER, I know my network is secured with WEP

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm fairly sure that the OP is talking about this:

Attached Files:

12. daflake macrumors 6502a

Much better... :)

If it says none, then there is no security between your machine and the access point. I checked mine and it says WPA2 Personal which is what I have setup. Like the photo above.

13. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Thank You, Nermal! You rock! Exactly.

I know, it should say WEP. However, it does not. I KNOW that my network has a security key, it is something with my Airport. Any ideas?

14. daflake macrumors 6502a

Did it ask you for the key when you connected? You could disconnect from the network and remove all the "remembered" networks (Network/Advance and then use the "-" to remove all the networks). Then reconnect to your home network and once you add the key see what it says.

15. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Yes, it did ask for a key. I have already tried removing the network and it did not work.

16. daflake macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a bug... Interesting find.

17. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

So, do you have any possible fixes? I will try anything (but a clean install):)

18. daflake macrumors 6502a

Not a clue over what I already told you. :(

19. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It's possible that this is on purpose since WEP is almost as insecure as no password at all. Switch to WPA and see if it works.

20. devburke Guest

Wow, I have to say, I understood what you were saying perfectly in your first post, I don’t know where all this confusion came from. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to help you.

But if it’s all working fine, except that it just says it’s unsecured, I wouldn’t go to too much trouble over it.

Also, does the little lock icon appear next to the network’s name?

21. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I would go with that and see what happens. I would try WPA or WPA2 and see if this change anything.

22. belvdr macrumors 603

That is a very bad/incorrect statement. Not all SSL certificates are the same.

Back on topic, OP, if you had to enter a password, and it works, then your wireless is obviously secured. I wouldn't worry about what the OS thinks personally.

I agree with the above that you should move to WPA2. It's worth the effort.

23. interconnect macrumors regular

interconnect

yeah why are you using WEP? WEP can be cracked in a matter of minutes by anyone who has even a minute understanding of wireless networking. i strongly recommend using WPA or even better WPA2 with AES (not TKIP) encryption. if you have legacy devices that don't support WPA or WPA2 some routers (or firmware) are capable of running two wireless networks, in which you could setup your main one with WPA or WPA2 and a second one that uses WEP although that one would still be unsecure. depending on what router you have, you might want to look into either DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares.

24. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Just to post a little update. I had some network issues today and changed my security to WPA2 Personal and it worked perfectly. So, it must just be with WEP security. I am still having network issues though...and on a Sunday! Stinks.