Mac OS X and Safari gain market share

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petvas, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

2. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

4. Muzzway macrumors regular

Apparently, not very well.

5. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Well, I don't think its doing very well. Firefox is really the IE alternative there.

6. acxz macrumors regular

I know quite a few people, including myself, who've made the switch in the past year. It's not surprising, considering how many problems people are having with Vista at the moment.

7. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

0.06 percent of the market share. Well, I'm one of those few people:) I use Safari 3 for Windows as my main browser and it works great.

Now only if I could save up more money for a MBP and get rid of this PC that be even better. I'll keep working.

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I haven't used IE in years and was very satisfied with Firefox for Windows. Now that I have my new iMac, I decided to give Safari a shot and so far I'm happy with it. I have all of my Windows Firefox bookmarks so all is good.:)

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

So this is safari usage on OSX, Guess firefox has ~20% on OSX

Attached Files:

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I must say, I really need to thank Microsoft for releasing Vista. If they hadn't, I would not have been forced to spend more time on the Macs at work, and then I wouldn't have seriously considered switching over to a Mac completely. I really didn't know what I was missing. :)

As for Safari on Windows, I think there's a multitude of issues that are holding it back:

1. There are a majority of people out there who just don't care what they surf the web with. They use IE because it comes with their windows machine and that's all they care to use. They don't want to be bothered with installing an alternate browser. This is the #1 reason why IE still commands 75% market share: not because it's a good browser, but because most people are lazy or too afraid to install something else.

2. For those who DO care, I think most are uncomfortable that Safari 3 is still considered a beta for Windows. The concept of using beta software could fly when Firefox was the only real alternative to IE, but with Firefox already well established as a stable product, people would rather flock to it than something still seen as experimental.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you forgot to mention the more important reasons

slow UI, defect tabbed browsing, lack of flexibility and functionality, system resource hog, out of place font smoothing. program instability, 36 hours security breach.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm pretty sure that falls squarely under reason #2: still in beta. But if you'd like to hijack the thread and turn this into a "Why Safari 3 for Windows sucks" discussion, I have better things to do than try and stop you. :)

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, Im glad nobody stop me on that.:) I just don't feel the reasoning you made does windows users any justice and basically accusing them being stupid, while you totally ignore the great defect of safari for windows. This type of argument, IMHO, is dishonest.

Beta... hehe, how nice, last two maybe, but
    tell me which one do you think will change in final release?