Mac OS X at Work

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
215
0
London, England
I would like to start using Mac OS X at work.

We are a large company with around 12,000 users. We use Active Directory, Lotus Notes, we have a domain and we map network drives via login scripts.

Does anyone know how I can begin trying to use my Mac at work? I will need access to my network drives etc.

How many users out there use their mac in an enterprise?
 

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
2,626
0
matthew24 said:
dedicated to this subject:

http://www.macwindows.com/

Take to mind: you need the co-operation of the sysadmins.

Are you suggesting he should ask his admins if he can put a hacked,illegal, beta version of OS X Intel on his work machine?

Or - are you just highlighting some Tiger Server stuff... ;)
 
Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,032
1
Portland, OR
I do Mac support in a large enterprise and we use Lotus Notes and Active Directory just fine, as long as you're willing to make a few sacrifices. The hardest part about it is compatability with all the Windows people.

But asking "how" is far too general a question to ask. Do you have IT support there? How do they feel about you brining in a Mac? Do they have the Mac versions of the software you will need? Will they get you set up on AD? etc..
 
Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,032
1
Portland, OR
AlBDamned said:
Are you suggesting he should ask his admins if he can put a hacked,illegal, beta version of OS X Intel on his work machine.
No, that site is all about Mac/Windows interoperability in such settings.
 
Comment

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
2,626
0
yellow said:
No, that site is all about Mac/Windows interoperability in such settings.

Thought it was amusing that the 'hacked' story was the first thing you see though...

'The MacWindows integration site' strapline does give the game away somewhat.
 
Comment

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
215
0
London, England
AlBDamned said:
Are you suggesting he should ask his admins if he can put a hacked,illegal, beta version of OS X Intel on his work machine?

Or - are you just highlighting some Tiger Server stuff... ;)
Hey now, its nothing that bad! I have a Powerbook :D
 
Comment

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
215
0
London, England
yellow said:
I do Mac support in a large enterprise and we use Lotus Notes and Active Directory just fine, as long as you're willing to make a few sacrifices. The hardest part about it is compatability with all the Windows people.

But asking "how" is far too general a question to ask. Do you have IT support there? How do they feel about you brining in a Mac? Do they have the Mac versions of the software you will need? Will they get you set up on AD? etc..
I work in IT myself so I should be OK with setting myself up if only I knew how. I'm willing to supply Lotus Notes myself. IT support won't be bothered about me bringing a Mac in, I will get authorisation from higher up. I will have to try to set myself up on AD, infact I will have to try to support myself (which is what I do on my current work laptop anyway).
 
Comment

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
261
0
What?

Pardon my ignorance of big corporate business IT and Windows rockin networks...but Lotus Notes... are you using the Aramaic or Sandscrit Editions?
R
 
Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,032
1
Portland, OR
I won't deny that Lotus Notes is a steaming pile of ****. Unfortunately I am not in a position to tell anyone that cares that it's a steaming pile of **** and have them listen to me. They put their eggs in that basket years ago and plan on riding that sinking pile of steaming **** to the bottom.
 
Comment

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
2,663
0
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Well my company is going from the pile of crap known as Novell Groupwise to the crap known as Lotus Notes. But that is ok because we have users that this the Calendar function means to scroll to the bottom of their emails and look at all the appointments which they never accept/decline. (Because the also think accept means to delete the appointment)
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.