"Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" - HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peanutismint, Nov 21, 2013.

1. peanutismint, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

So I've just sold a Mac Mini G4 (see model specs here) that I inherited from a friend a few years back, but when I formatted the drive to remove my personal data, I found that the OS X install disc I was given with the machine throws up the following error message when I try to boot it:

"Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer"

The install disc is for OS X 10.5.6 which I think is Leopard (?). I had previously updated this to 10.5.8 which is the highest OS X this Mac can run, but now the 'original' disc won't allow me to install 10.5.4 again. I've heard the discs are specific to the model, but I can't see how I could have the wrong disc for this machine....??

So basically, I need to get a fresh install of SOMETHING, ANYTHING onto this machine so that I can send it off to the guy who bought it ASAP.

Any suggestions??

2. chrfr macrumors 603

If you have a 10.5.4 disc it's not what came with that computer. No PowerPC mini shipped with 10.5.
    You'll need either a retail (black) 10.5 disc or the original 10.4.x discs that came with the Mini to reinstall.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Sorry - 10.5.6, I just checked, though I doubt from what you're saying it matters anyway...

Thanks for the really helpful reply! :) So I guess if I can just get ahold of a copy of 10.4 or 10.5 online that will go on? Or are there still some issues relating to install discs being linked to specific models etc??

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

There are two types one that came with the machine which is machine/model specific and the retail version which will install on any machine that supports that OS. You want the retail version or the one made for your machine.

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint