Mac OS X Cheetah 10.0 Mail problem?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlexBass, Jul 25, 2012.

1. AlexBass macrumors regular

So I recently upgraded to Cheetah 10.0.

I'm having a problem with the mail application, when I click 'get mail', nothing happens. It doesn't refresh or show the new mail whatsoever, please help.

Thanks in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Maybe you don't have new mail, or yor provider doesn't support Cheetah's outdated version of Mail.app.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You recently upgraded to 10.0???? :eek: What hardware are you running? Upgraded from what -- system 9? OS X 10.0 was released in 2001.

Firstly, 10.0 is almost a beta -- it's very buggy, it's very slow, it's very light on features and it's of minimal use. You can't burn a data disk with it. It's not really fit for purpose. Apple had to give away 10.1 because it was so bad.

Secondly, you should be able to run 10.2 or even 10.3 on most hardware that can run OS X. Those are much more polished, useful systems.

Thirdly, you are still going to be limited in what you can do by the age of these OSes and the hardware you have. Forget YouTube or FaceBook. Forget nearly all apps for Mac that you can download at the moment.

As for your Mail problem: have you entered your POP/IMAP and SMTP server details of your Mail server?

4. azahar macrumors newbie

azahar

Lol.... he's taking the pi$$ and you fell for it :p

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Yes, Stupid, gullible me for thinking that someone genuinely wanted help and for responding in a useful manner.
    I see now the brilliance and subtlety of the joke. Ha Ha!
    Do you see? Someone might have an old version of OS X, at a time when everyone is talking about the latest one! How clever.

I shall limit my replies to "LOL!" and re-quoting.

This place gets worse by the minute.

6. AlexBass thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, no it seems like I'm taking the pi$$, I worded it poorly.

I recently bought an old Power Mac G4 from ebay. I updated from Mac OS 9 to OS X just to see how the original OS X was, backing up the OS 9 system to revert it back once I had finished in order to maintain the classic-ness of the mac.

It's no biggy, I understand it was a buggy OS and not designed to last a long time, thanks for the help anyway.