Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
I had the lock up upon wake up from sleep with login screen issue... i cant' remember what i did to fix it.. i think it had something to do with sleeping shortly after the screen saver popped up.. i did a lot of tests and as soon as i seperated the time between sleeping and screen saver turning on it stopped... so try making sure they are about 5 minutes apart... mine typically did it after closing the lid.. i don't recall having it happen when it automatically when to sleep ... it's weird.. do a search for powerbook coma on the apple tech help site thingie.. there's a whole thread or ... eight.. on it lol

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Nope, that kind of thing is definitely NOT normal for OS X. Something's wrong.

I've heard that the latest Panther update, 10.3.6, has also been known to cause problems, and not just with FireWire drives. If the other suggestions fail, that might be something else to consider.

Testing the ASDL modem theory is easy...unplug it, and do the problems go away?

I'll also agree with those who don't think it's a RAM issuel; I run Jaguar wiht 256 MB and don't have those kinds of problems. Panther is supposed to outperform Jaguar, so I'd expect it to run okay on 256 MB as well. Not screamingly fast, maybe, but certainly not unusably slowly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.