Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarahlee1579

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Hi Guys,
I have a question for you....

I have a Macbook which I bought new in Feb this year.
I came home from work today and my boyfriend told me he'd had a clear out and thrown away my macbook box. But had found a disk in there and decided to install it- to be on the safe side.
He had infact installed the Mac OS X dvd... (grrrrrrrr)
All seems fine....I did panic thinking he had changed it back to factory settings but my question is, has he harmed the mac in any way by installing something that was essentially already installed?
Also would it have used up much memory??

Thanks!

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hi Guys,
I have a question for you....

I have a Macbook which I bought new in Feb this year.
I came home from work today and my boyfriend told me he'd had a clear out and thrown away my macbook box. But had found a disk in there and decided to install it- to be on the safe side.
He had infact installed the Mac OS X dvd... (grrrrrrrr)
All seems fine....I did panic thinking he had changed it back to factory settings but my question is, has he harmed the mac in any way by installing something that was essentially already installed?
Also would it have used up much memory??

Thanks!

No, you should be fine.

sarahlee1579

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Thanks for the reply AppleFanatic10. Was so worried everything had been wiped but everything is the same.
The dvd's been rescued from the bin and will be kept safe...
Call me ignorant but with macs etc being so high tech, it's surely impossible to install 2 versions of the OS....? no?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Thanks for the reply AppleFanatic10. Was so worried everything had been wiped but everything is the same.
The dvd's been rescued from the bin and will be kept safe...
Call me ignorant but with macs etc being so high tech, it's surely impossible to install 2 versions of the OS....? no?

Unless you have something like Parallels on your computer, it's not possible lol.

sarahlee1579

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Cant even say I know what they are...lol
Last question, I will be getting OS Lion next week anyway so am i right in thinking that snow leopard gets uninstalled anyway?
So any worries i have of this stupid unnecessary 'extra' instalment from last night can be forgotten...?

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
yup, lion will replace snow leopard as the OS.

Technically: yes you can install and run multiple OS's.
Regular Non-technical user: no this can not and will not happen.

When you put in any install OS, (especially apple's) they have a nice easy way to navigate and are already programmed to check for previous versions of an operating system and edit them accordingly.

So you can put in as many OS's as you want install them, and in the end everything will be fine because it's set up to make sure you have only 1 main OS. So don't worry, be happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.