Mac OS X does not connect to wireless service but Windows does

Discussion in 'macOS' started by acidity, Jul 30, 2007.

1. acidity macrumors regular

I recently shifted to a new working environment. I have a windows desktop and my MacBook.

The crazy thing is that that the windows wireless connects to the network without any problem but my MacBook Airport dosnt. I have quadruple checked the password and its correct.

Its an AT&T service connected to a Netgear WGT634U model router.

Its a WEP password protection with authentication type "automatic" and 64bit security strength. The other notable setup is that under "Internet IP Address" its setup to use static IP address and its provided by the sysadmin.

Any ideas?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I had a problem like this at one point with a 2Wire wireless router, and it turned out that I needed to enter the password in hex, which in Airport requires that you put a "$" before the hex password. If you don't do that, the Airport software automatically converts your "plain" password into hex, which is nice and convenient if you have an Apple base station, but makes it not work if you don't.

Here's the Apple doc on it, if you haven't already read it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106424

If that's not what's going on or you've already read that, sorry.

3. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

i had a problem with this 2wire router, couldnt connect, is the same as yours?
    [​IMG]

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Um... not sure. It wasn't my router, so I don't remember quite what it looked like. That's close, anyway.

Basically if you take the "password" from the thing and stick a $ before it (it was a hex password, so would only include 0-9 and a-e), it worked. At least, that's what I remember--this was about three years ago.

5. kman79 macrumors regular

I'm having the same issues as well.

I was over my sister's place and I was trying to get on their network. Their network uses WEP Encryption and my brother gave me the password, it was a 20+ alpha and numeric password, so I'm assuming he was using 128 bit encryption. I did do a search on google and it let me to believe that adding the dollar "$" sign in front of the password would do the trick, but it was still a no go. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

6. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Make sure that you select the correct option when connecting to the network. If it is a hex key (10 digits for 64bit, 26 for 128bit), remember to choose the wep 40/128 bit hex option in the drop down menu entitled wireless security in the airport password window.

7. marcopolo9 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem this week. I just moved into a new apartment, which has "free high speed internet". I have a new MBP, and the window using neighbors are connected, but I cannot connect.

All the apartment people told me is that they use "64-Bit WEP" and the password is a 10 digit series of numbers. I can see the SSID but when I try using WEP 40/128-bit hex I am unable to connect.

Are there some types of encryptions that just don't work with OS X? Or is there some type of app I need to download that will make this work.

Thanks for help!