Mac OS X doesn't boot all way through after crash

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by florian.faessle, Jun 19, 2012.

1. florian.faessle macrumors newbie

Hallo,

I am using a 15" MacBook Pro early 2008 with 2,5 Ghz C2D. Beside a 160GB Intel SSD the hardware remained in original configuration, including the battery. Furthermore I am using Mac OS X Lion with all updates. I am a bit brief on this since I can't boot my Mac OS X partition at the moment (see below) and access the data I wanted to post here.

Since a couple of weeks I had a recurring problem. In the beginning the problem occured only every now and then. Since two days the problem accurs very often (after a few hrs). The problem is as follows. In normal use in Mac OS X the screen starts to flicker, show coloured lines across the screen or grey blocks. Shortly after (<3 sec) the system stops working at all and only a forced shut down (pressing on button for 5 secs) helps. When rebooting the apple logo appears and the grey progress "bar" turns. Then the screen freezes and reamins frozen. However one can hear programmes like skype starting (I also heard when someone wrote me) and the fan speed increasing. I checked with "cmd+v" when it stops and it stops at different steps. When turning the macbook off and on again the problem presists. After numerous shutdowns the OS finally boots all the way. First I thought that the battery might be the reason since it hasn't been changed so far and it started to tell me that I have to change it soon, but the problem remains with removed battery. I also have a Bootcamp partition that works fine so far (used it already a couple of hrs to check this).

I have a backup so I considered a reinstall, since the problem seems software related to me. I wanted to check first if there are maybe any other easy solutions or steps I should try before reinstalling though. So far I didn't find someone with a simular problem.

Has anybody a good idea or a hint what I might try first?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Florian

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sounds like your machine has the infamous NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT failure. The fix is a new logicboard, but it'll just happen again. Apple should replace the logicboard for free if that is the problem. You should take it in before it completely dies. If that happens they won't replace it for free.

3. florian.faessle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick answer. If it's a hadware problem why doesn't it show up in Windows then?

You mean even if the logic board is changed the same error will show up after a while again?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Windows may not be stressing the machine enough. Have you tried any games in Windows?

When I say it'll come back, the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M has a design flaw that Nvidia claims to have fixed. This flaw is that the chip starts to pull away from the board it's on. Most people that have gotten their logicboards replaced have had this problem happen again in about the same time as it took for the first failure.

5. florian.faessle thread starter macrumors newbie

Hallo,
    I didn't have any problems earlier in Windows. I didn't test it since the error occured more frequent in Mac OS X though. So I tested it today and had system crashs as well. Looks like I have to go to an Apple store. I think I am over the 4 years already so I will have to pay for it or get a new Mac.
    Thx for your help!

Btw.: I like that this forum has a smartphone friendly version! :)

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is a known defect of these machines. If it is the Nvidia GPU failing then it won't cost you anything. Nvidia will foot the bill.