Mac OS X El Capitan or Yosemite

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dontae3362, Nov 11, 2015.

?

Favorite OS?

1. Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

37.5%
  2. Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

12.5%
  3. Older OS X (Mavericks, Lion etc)

50.0%
  1. dontae3362 macrumors newbie

dontae3362

Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan has been an improvement form its predecessor OS X 10.10 Yosemite. It has gotten some nice upgrades such as Split Screen, Smarter Searches in Spotlight, Safari updates etc.

Many persons still prefer Yosemite because of performance. Personally for me, During my experience of using El Capitan. It has proven to be much faster than Yosemite, making it a very fast and efficient OS.

Some apps in IOS are updated and only work with OS X 10.11 El Capitan such as Notes. If you try to sync the Notes app in IOS 8 with El Capitan. It will not sync the most recent notes that was created in El Capitan. That could be a reason why persons are not updating to El Capitan (Maybe they are jailbroken on IOS 8)

Whats your favorite OS? Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan or OS X 10.10 Yosemite?

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I voted Mavericks.

Yosemite had very few "improvements" and was much slower on my Macs. Not to mention buggy as hell, while most of the bugs are gone in 10.10.5 there are still some annoying bugs left (OpenCL, Finder slow down, Spotlight, etc.)

While El Capitan is better than Yosemite (speed improvements on newer Macs, OpenCL finally works, etc.) unfortunately it doesn't fix all of Yosemite bugs (Spotlight, Finder is unreliable, etc.) and it removes important features (Disk Utility and Displays to name a few).

El Capitan might eventually be better than Mavericks (assuming Apple updates it for a few years) but currently Mavericks works very well for me without annoying bugs that are in later OS X versions. Not to mention later OS X versions have too many "improvements" that are in reality downgrades (Photos, Spotlight, Time Machine, etc.)

3. iKonstantinos macrumors newbie

To be honest, I have a 15in MBP mid2009. It has 8GB RAM, Samsung 840Pro SSD and CPU @ 3.06.
    I am code/software developer and I use my laptop for coding, music, browsing, lots of writing and research and development.
    I am using Mavericks and i have really no problems. I would say that i like the fancy features but i have heart that many complains about newer OSX versions that i am happy with this arrangement.

4. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

For me, Snow Leopard was the best in terms of stability and performance. However El Capitan comes close. Everything between Snow Leopard and El Capitan I had issues with. Yosemite and Lion were the worst for me in terms of stability.

5. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

I agree with Ebenezum and iKonstantinos and prefer by far the looks of Mavericks.
    I do not quite understand that a company like Apple, giving so much importance to design, came with flat icons, far too strongly coloured for my taste when designing Yosemite.
    I agree however that tastes are an individual matter and not an universal one.
    Now, from the operation point of view, passing from Mavericks to Yosemite brought no problem to my MP end 2013.
    Neither parts and functions of the OS itself nor my applications complained about that change.:)

However trying to upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan became hell. :eek:
    I could not even shut down in the normal way but only by removing power supply.:(
    I managed (thanks God...and a clone drive, in that order) to restore my Yosemite with all the applications and data and wonder presently if and when El Capitan will be a reliable and bug free OS...:confused:
    Ed