Mac os X finder copy to a NTFS server changes to file type to Unix

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DanielSosMac, Aug 1, 2011.

1. DanielSosMac macrumors newbie

Hello:

People in my company just bought a windows server with NFTS hard drives and gave us, mac users, rights to read, right etc. as well as an SMB connection to login and use the server.

Our Issue:

Whenever we copy our files via Finder to the server (and we're talking about 2 terabytes of files, images, fonts and quark documents), my mac recognizes file types ok, but other users see a "unix file type" on the files that have no extension. Qxp files, for example, whenever they double click on them they open on the terminal, and it is for us impossible to rename and add file extensions to a decades work.

¿is there a terminal way to copy and preserve file types to an NFTS drive? I'm on snow leopard 10.6.8

2. simsaladimbamba, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011

simsaladimbamba

When one writes to an NTFS or (ex)FAT(32) formatted volume in Mac OS X, Windows user typically see two files instead of one. One is very small and just a resource fork (more info), which is important for Mac OS X, but Windows can't use those.
    There are also the normal files, which should be readable, if they are in fact compatible with Windows, regardless of what file system is used.
    Could that be the case here?

Btw, since you use a network to transfer files to the new NTFS formatted HDDs, the file system doesn't matter, as SMB is used to "translate", thus you could even write to some unsupported file system.

3. DanielSosMac thread starter macrumors newbie

I can read some files but the files without extension are considered by default like Unix files on our 10.5 computers. 10.6 systems are reading them O.K.

Do I have to rename them manually? When we copied them from windows the files were renamed with a strange number and useless. When we copied them from a mac with 10.6 they worked but not for 10.5 computers :S

I can't upgrade all of them to 10.6 (time consuming) also because some are running on PPC processors.

4. DanielSosMac, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

DanielSosMac thread starter macrumors newbie