Mac OS X (First Generation) Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bitdotpixel, Oct 2, 2009.

1. bitdotpixel macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for the Hong Kong desktop that was introduced with the first generation of OS X in 2001, (and subsequently with the first generation of cinema displays), for quite some time.

I've posted about this on MacRumors in the past, and spent all morning reformatting my defunct eMac with Jaguar (as far back as I could get) trying to find the .jpg.

I do have the the original OS X Install Disc next to me, but I can't seem to load Classic 9, or 9.1 (which enables an OS X, first generation install).

Here's the desktop I'm seeking, in 1920x1200 resolution:
    [​IMG]

This sounds crazy, but I'd really appreciate the file!

Thanks,
    John

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Any chance you can extract or view the package contents of the installer and just pop the Desktop Pictures out?

3. bitdotpixel thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to view all of the desktops on the Jaguar disc, but alas it wasn't one of them. I did look over all contents of the OS X disc, but couldn't find the desktops. I believe they're embedded into inaccessible files on the earlier disc.

John

4. bitdotpixel thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just found the 1600 res through Google. if anyone has the 1920x1200, I'd love a copy.

J

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That, like many "wallpapers" Apple used for their displays back then, was never shipped with any OS. Today Apple uses actual screenshots for all displays but back then Apple likes to use photographs to show off their displays. You can find many of those images on the interwebs, but not from any install disks of any sort.

6. bitdotpixel thread starter macrumors newbie

Raven,

You're correct. It turns out the image was purchased from a stock photography house. In essence, Apple did own the rights to use it accordingly, at the time.

It's called Hong Kong, Lippo Centre and Bank of China, photographed Keith Macgregor.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/BA18066/Taxi

J

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Wouldn't mind a link to the 1600 res :)