Mac OS X for phone/voice calls: progress in the decade since Panther

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by grahamperrin, Feb 3, 2015.

?

How do you feel about the limited ability of Yosemite to work with mobile phones?

1. Apple has made good progress; the inability to transfer a call from a phone was expected.

22.2%
  2. I don't know how I feel.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm ambivalent.

33.3%
  4. For voice calls, Yosemite was surprisingly limited, not sufficiently innovative; I expected more.

44.4%
  1. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Mac OS X for phone/voice calls (mobile phone, POTS, VoIP): progress in the decade since Panther

A few points on a timeline:
    – note, transferring a voice call to an iPhone is not a handoff.

Essentially: using a Mac with a phone is not a novelty.

Thoughts

I was surprised to read that OS X Yosemite does not feature transfer of calls from iOS.

I wonder why the years of development, of the two operating systems, have not resulted in better continuity.

Given the history – years of development, with some constraints that are beyond the control of Apple – how do you feel about the limited ability of Yosemite to work with mobile phones?​
    – I'll add a poll to this topic. ​

A few links and quotes

In Wikipedia:

Under Apple's Software Quality Decline:

To me it's not exactly a decline, it's more a lack of progress.

From elsewhere, in no particular order:

"… it's early in the game. If Continuity catches on, perhaps Apple will make the initial setup a tad more intuitive. As to devising ways to add support for older Macs, I wouldn't bet on it. "​

"… With Continuity, you will be able to seamlessly shift between Mac OS X and iOS devices …"​

Um, 'seamless' should include transfer of calls.

"… One of this unique feature is making calls through Mac, using the cellular network …"​

I routinely used the Mac OS X Address Book, or third party software with that application, to initiate calls … years before Yosemite was previewed.

"… Calls can be initiated from the Contacts application …"​

2015, folks. I'm disappointed that Yosemite can't work with iOS in that way.

I suspect that in the Steve Jobs era there was better recognition of the differences between Mac hardware and iPhone hardware.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I voted that Yosemite is "limited", but "buggy" might be a better term. When it lets me answer a call on the computer, then I can hear the other person but they intermittently can't hear me. Sometimes Yosemite will immediately pop up "missed call" while the phone itself is still ringing.

Text messaging seems to work reliably though, and I find it much more convenient than pecking on the on-screen keyboard.

3. grahamperrin thread starter macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Now, I don't know …

Me too.

Now, whilst I can't change my vote, I don't know how I feel.

Whilst Apple might have "… no problem spending ten figures for the right company that’s the right and that’s in the best interest of Apple in the long-term …", the 'right company' (or an existing solution) might be simply not available to Apple.

Money can't buy everything. So I don't know how I feel. And from a more recent topic:

"… don't expect the feature set of a person-oriented OS to match the feature set of an enterprise-oriented platform. …"​

4. grahamperrin thread starter macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Will OS X 10.11 allow transfer of calls from iOS 9?