Mac OS X for Science & Economics

Discussion in 'macOS' started by viktit88, Aug 20, 2015.

1. viktit88 macrumors member

Dear Friends, dear Professionals!
    For many years I wanted to begin this topic at your professional forum!
    It is connected with opportunity, convenience and also functionality of the Mac OS X for professionals who work in the sphere of economics and science (people who work in universities, government, etc.).
    I found two sites and one of them (second) shows overall performance of mac os x in this sphere.
    1) http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/64173-mac-vs-pc-best-economics.html
    2) http://u.arizona.edu/~hirano/macosx.html

So, questions are: What kind of software do You use for carrying out economic researches and for the productivity of Your work?
    What kind of professional text editors do You use?
    What kind of mail applications do You use? (for example outlook, thunderbird or smth else?)
    What else can You offer to download for Mac OS X to get the maximum effectiveness of the work?

Thank You very much!!!

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I am a quality engineer in the energy industry (Oil & Gas) which involves significant research and engineering application, reporting of the same;

Apple Mail works for all my mail accounts including MS Exchange
    MicroSoft Office 2011 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
    Omnigraffle Profesional (far better than Visio)
    Shorter Oxford English Dictionary
    EverNote
    Skim (pdf`s more powerful than Apple`s Preview)
    PCalc (comprehensive scientific calculator)
    GIMP (image manipulation)
    Alinof Timer (useful to help manage time)
    Apple`s own Safari, Preview, Pages, Keynote, Numbers

I also run proprietary engineering applications in a compatibility layer (Wine) therefore have no need of MS Windows

Q-6

3. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank You very very much!!!
    This information is very very useful!!!
    To my MacBook I have downloaded MS Office 2016 and I am using Outlook. It is very good!
    And do You use something from Adobe?

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No I have no need for Adobe, between Preview & Skim for PDF`s, I don't care for Adobe`s subscription based software and GIMP offers me more than enough flexibility for image manipulation. Same applies for MS Office 2016, if proves to be a significant upgrade to Office 2011 I will buy it outright when available. I prefer Apple`s native mail client "Mail" as I have it working without issue on multiple mail accounts, admittedly it can take some knowledge to set up to work 100%

Q-6