Mac OS X Freezing [Pics included]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by appelsam161, Mar 17, 2008.

1. appelsam161 macrumors newbie

Well, hello I guess. Im hoping someone here may be of help!

Ive had my macbook for nearly two months and have been quite satisfied with it, as I had a PC beforehand. However, I wasn't expecting crashes quite like Im seeing.

This seems to happen at the most inconvenient times and at first I thought it was when I was using flash based applications, but its even happened with just firefox and itunes running. I also thought it could be RAM based but I can't be sure.

I've run the hardware test nothing came up.
    I've installed all of the latest updates (I had the problem before updating OS X 10.5 as well as afterwards, albeit less of them...)

So, here are the pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think Ive realised now, that this needs to be sorte by the mac geniuses, so it will probably be taken back soon for a check up. i'll call them about it first though. However, I just wanted to know if anyone else has encountered anything like this before. If you have, please, it will be of great help if you say so!

If no one has had this before then my mac is definitely faulty, and Im guessing a major hardware issue, probably with the graphics card...

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

havent encountered this before but it looks to be a graphics issue or logic board issue and will need to be replaced. as you still have the warranty just take it to an Apple Store and it will be replaced at no cost.

3. appelsam161 thread starter macrumors newbie

What exactly is the logic board? Just curious.

Cheers for the reply, should I print out the pictures when I take it with me, so I can show them what the problem is? Im assuming so...

4. Mastershredder macrumors member

Logic board = motherboard. I'd bring those pics too.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What version of Leopard are you running? and did you install the Leopard Graphics update 1.0 ?

6. appelsam161 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah right cheers for that, that was my feeling (about the logic board)

Im assuming that wont affect anything datawise.

Ermm, Im running leopard... 10.5.2 and I have no idea of Ive used installed the graphics update.

Is there a way to check? Ill google it anyway.

Cheers for the help!

edit: Im downloading it now =] Hopefully it'll fix it.

Also, I will probably give them a call tomorrow, or sometime this week about the situation. Now here's a tough one... do you think they will go online and look at the picture online? If I tell them over the phone the link to where the pic is on photobucket. This way they can see, at their end, what Im talking about. And they should understand my problem... Thing is, there's no email support for macbooks/mac os x. Not that I know of anyway.

7. appelsam161 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, just an update...

I just called apple and the guy was really helpful. I did a reset which was basically holding cmd, alt, r and p down whilst starting up. He said if that didn't work (i.e. I get the problem another time after this reset) then take it into the store. And I've got a reference number.

To the guy who said either graphics card or logic board issue, 100% spot on, that's exactly what the guy at apple said.

Cheers for the help everyone =]

8. Sptz macrumors regular

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is a PRAM reset, side note alt is often referred to as option or opt (this comes up as on UK keyboards it is labeled as alt where as US it is opt)

10. appelsam161 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, PRAM reset. He didn't tell me that, but I googled it lol. I didn't find anything related to graphics or video though, but I must of missed out seeing the one in the list you posted lol.

Does it sound like a good solution, or at least something worth trying?

Also, he got me to take the battery out, disconnect any cables etc. then hold the power button for 6 seconds. Does anyone know what kind of reset this is, and what it does?

Cheers, Im just curious. And I haven't had any issues since... =] Fingers crossed

edit: And in reply to your side-note... yeah, half the keys have different names in different places haha. Command is the apple key, which I thought is odd because there's no apple symbol on it lol. Maybe its the apple key because no other computers use them, just apple...

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Old apple keyboards only had an :apple: and the twirly # symbol on the cmd key, so most people learned it as the "apple key" since there was no easy way for people to find out its actually called command without reading technical stuff. Thats why people still call it the apple key, since only the newest keyboards actually say "command" on them, you must have a really new model if it doesnt have an apple symbol on the key.

12. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

This is known as resetting the System Management Controller.