Mac OS X guest OS license and technical concerns?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by InfoTime, Jan 9, 2015.

1. InfoTime macrumors 6502

Can I legally and technically run any older version of Mac OS X in a virtual machine?

Example: I'm using a Late 2009 iMac. I think it came with 10.6. I'm running 10.10 now. In VMware Fusion I'm given the choice to install many equal or older operating systems.

[​IMG]

Anyone know the ins and outs of what's considered properly licensed? I'm assuming most versions listed will install and run?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you have purchased one of the versions of Mac OS X that is listed there from Apple or have the physical disc with installation key, they it is properly licensed and you may run it. Versions of Mac OS X there are not considered properly licensed by Apple and virtual machine developers.

3. InfoTime thread starter macrumors 6502

I've never used a license key to install Mac OS X. I guess that's just for the server OSs?

I have purchased every version of Mac OS X listed there (non-server). The last OS I purchased that came with a disc was 10.6. Since 10.7 it's all been Mac App Store. So does that make me eligible for 10.7 - 10.10 desktop Mac OS X in a virtual machine?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

OS X Server up to 10.6 had a license key that was used to install them. If you've purchased 10.7+ from the Mac App Store, you can run it as it contains the proper license.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OSX 10.7 above you can install it in vmware no problem at all, 10.5/10.6, VMware will only let you install the server edition. There was implemented because Apple was only letting people virtualize the server server edition, not the desktop version. Later Apple relaxed the constraint.