Mac OS X help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OneMoreMacUser, Dec 26, 2013.

1. OneMoreMacUser macrumors member

I have just repaired my iMac g3 Bondi Blue rev. A and it has Mac OS 9 installed, my goal was to make it have an original, but make it have a Steve Jobs "feel" to it.
    The problem is I am trying to locate a Mac OSX 10.0.4 install cd's and i cant find one!
    I found an "iMac OS X Restore Discs Complete Software Install Apple 9.2 10.0.4" on ebay, but i don't know if that would work on the iMac I own.

ebay link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/iMac-OS-X-R...tall-Apple-9-2-10-0-4-600-9395A-/141086631346

If someone could point me to an original install cd(s) for mac OS 10.0.x that works on that specific model iMac or tell me if this set would work, that would be great!

2. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The bondi-blue iMac never shipped with any version of OS X, or OS 9 for that matter. An original system (Rev A) shipped with MacOS 8.1 (August 98)
    That set from eBay would be for an iMac shipped about July 2001, nearly 3 years after the Rev A
    RAM was always interesting for those early iMacs.
    I think the first ones shipped with only 32 MB of RAM, which would be horrible (maybe not possible ? ) for OS X. Also, a real challenge to fit OS X with OS 9 on the original 4GB hard drive, and actually be able to do anything useful (not that 10.0.4 was useful anyway :D ) OS X always wanted 128 MB minimum, although less could boot till 10.4, I think

4. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Oh yeah good point Delta. Didn't think about telling him about Min. requirements... :\

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've got an iMac 233mhz with 96mb ram, no firewire port. 10.0.3 will install just fine. I've done it.

PM me if you want my disk, I have zero need for it.

Incidentally. I just installed Tiger on this iMac last night. Here's how to do that.

Make sure the drive you want to use has the jumper set to Master. Partition the drive with a least one partition 8GB or less. Make sure the OS9 drivers are installed. The iMac only picks up the first 8GB of a disk as bootable and needs the OS9 drivers.

I used my Quicksilver to install Tiger via an external case to the first partition (to get around the firewire check). Put the hard drive back in the iMac and boot.

With only 96mb of ram, it's somewhat slow, but Finder is actually quite responsive.

Attached Files:

6. OneMoreMacUser thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help although I am just a little bit confused now. Could someone please answer these questions.

Do I need Mac os 9installed in order to boot Mac OSX Cheetah?
    Will OSX cheetah work? Whats this about firewire?
    What hard drive can I buy that was still an original size but would fit both is's easly? (If I need both)

Sorry if my questions are noobish, I just am getting into vintage/PowerPC macs!

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No.
    Yes.
    One of the checks that the install disk(s) for OS X 10.4 Tiger makes is a firewire port check. If your Mac has a firewire port and the installer sees that it does, the install will proceed. If your Mac does not have a firewire port then the Tiger installation will not proceed.

Not sure if Panther checks or not, but Jaguar and below do not.
    Any IDE drive of 128GB or less will work. However, only the first 8GB of any drive is seen (and OS9 drivers (from Disk Utility) need to be installed when partitioning/formatting the drive) as far as booting is concerned, If you want to boot OSX.

You can use larger IDE hard drives, but you'll need additional software to recognize drives larger than 128GB.

8. OneMoreMacUser, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

OneMoreMacUser thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for all the questions just one two more things:D

In order to install Mac OSX cheetah I need Mac OS 9 drivers.
    So how do I go about doing that? Do I just install Mac OS 9 first?

Also, I plan on using this as an "iTunes box" and I know iTunes 4.0 has the iTunes Store (which I would like).
    I know I can get iTunes if I buy iLife, if I got the original iLife (2003) would the software (iTunes) update to at least 4.0 (on Mac OSX 10.0)

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No. Boot from the install CD/DVD. Once the installer loads go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. Click on the disk you want to install OS X to. Select the Partition tab. Under the popup menu that says current partition, select 2 Partitions (or more if you want to do more than 2). Size the first partition down to 8GB or less (I used 6.04). Make sure that the box that says "Install OS9 Drivers" is checked. Click on the Partition button (or the OK button, or whatever it says on the bottom right).

The drive will be wiped and partitioned. Go back to the installer and select the first partition to install on. Install OS X.

You don't need iLife to get iTunes. iTunes has been a part of every standard OS install since I can remember. It's also available for download separately.

Note that iTunes 4.0, which you mention, is the ONLY version of iTunes that Apple has ever allowed internet streaming of your music library on. iTunes 4.1 removed this capability. To take advantage of this though, you have to use iTunes 4.0 on each machine you intend to have access to your library over the internet. If accessing the library over the internet is not a thing for you, then install any version of iTunes that your version of OS X will support. A Google search for iTunes 4.0 should give you what you want. If not, do some searching here. There's a university in Australia that maintains a FTP server that has just about everything you could want for OS X/OS9. They have 4.0.

10. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Panther does not check: you may recall you could install up to Panther on the iBook Clamshells that did not have a firewire port, however on the Indigo and Key Lime models there was a firewire port, and you could actually run up to Tiger on them.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

12. ifrit05, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

IKR, who would buy just the box... Well... I probably would. I love all things pre-intel Apple. Lol. :p

13. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Do you? I just bought OS 10.1 with everything and box included for $13 off of Amazon! I'm pretty exited!

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sheeesh! I can remember when 10.1.5 was brand new and everyone was excited because SMB was supported!

I can also remember the talk about Jaguar. Apple couldn't call it that in Australia because Jaguar (the car company) had the rights to the name then.

I'm old! :eek:

15. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

16. OneMoreMacUser thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I have recently had a change of heart :rolleyes:
    I cannot use iPod's with firewire on my mac, so I need to get another mac for that...
    But, I have decided to make it all original.
    I have bought a bondi blue mouse (hockey-puck) and keyboard both original.
    Now I need Mac OS 8.1 to install, it would be extremely if you could help me find one (just needs to install the OS,l don't need box or anything). I can't find one for under $80

Also, I know I needed OS 9 drivers if I was going to install OSX I am assuming this is not the case here, but I would like to know if there were any strings attached!

17. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05