Mac OS X in Dell Publication!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ClassicBean, May 5, 2007.

1. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Just got a flyer the other day with my newspaper from Dell. This is not a third party flyer from a store - this is produced by Dell.

Anyway, I like to flip through these things for fun just to see the Windows world. Much to my chagrin, there is a section to go online and the screenshot they use is of a Safari web browser.

Obviously, the design firm putting this together uses Macs and probably just grabbed a screenshot or something, but still, you would think Dell would catch it. Yeah, I know Dell is just a hardware manufacturer and it's not like this was in a Microsoft ad, but still. I thought it was funny.

I've attached three screenshots - one is the front of the catalog, one is the page with Safari, and the other is a closeup of the Safari shot.

Attached Files:

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sure Dell would be very happy if people using Safari went to the Dell website and bought their products -- i.e. switched from OS X to Windows. ;)

4. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

5. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah this is clearly the graphic designer trying to squeeze one through. Good for him/her.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Actually, they'd be happier if Apple would license out OS X. This has been stated before by Dell.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Hehe. I do it all the time! :D

8. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

This may sound stupid, but I wonder if MS has any say so via a contract saying Dell must use windows-only screenshots in advertisements?

I could see MS doing that.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nah, it does make Dell look silly though.

10. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

It happens all the time like in the Argos catalog they advertise webcams that only work for windows sitting on macs or next to them. Maybe its because Macs are so much more stylish and great looking :D

11. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but this is different. This is for a computer that really only runs windows (although you could run linux) and is promoting Windows software and hardware designed specifically for it.

Really, though, only Mac users would notice this.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

And users of Flyakite...made my wait to switch easier...but the uber-cool website is down :(

13. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I see things like this often, especially in tv ads. But nice catch for noticing it in a dell catalogue! The typical screenshot nowadays for new PCs is the "Vista Aero Flip 3D" screenshot. I'm starting to see that everywhere.

14. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the Flip 3D thing is everywhere - but a little overrated. I admit that it looks cool, but Expose is actually so much more functional. I've used both so it's not just an empty statement.