Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadasive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Henderson, Nevada
Well i just got back form Fry's and I bought me a copy of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I put in my CD and guess what it says.

'Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine'

I wonder why... My current OS is Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger... I lost my old one and I needed to buy a new one so I could reset Admin. Password.

Anyone wonder why this wont work?? I use MacBook Pro and my system specs are;

Machine Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Machine Model: MacBookPro1,2
CPU Type: Intel Core Duo
Number Of Cores: 2
CPU Speed: 2.16 GHz
L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
SMC Version: 1.5f8
Boot ROM Version: MBP12.0061.B00

I dont know what this is but here ya go:

Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It won't install because there was never an intel retail disk of Tiger (IIRC).

You'll have to get replacement disks off apple and try and get your money back from Frys.

You don't need to reinstall to reset the password but you do need to be able to boot from the disk, which i doubt will work. Take it to an apple store they will reset the password fro you there.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If memory serves me correctly the retail version of 10.4 is PPC only, the only way to get 10.4 as intel is with the system disk that came with the computer. You can check ebay as people are always selling them, just make sure you get the one for your model as others will not work.

Nadasive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Henderson, Nevada

You'll have to get replacement disks off apple and try and get your money back from Frys.

You don't need to reinstall to reset the password but you do need to be able to boot from the disk, which i doubt will work. Take it to an apple store they will reset the password fro you there.

Awesome, thanks

Nadasive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Henderson, Nevada

Awesome, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.