Mac os x installation problems. Anyone know what they are doing? Please help!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ashleyhall19, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Ashleyhall19 macrumors newbie

Hi there. I bought a second hand macbook off my friend (sadly can't afford a new one t the moment)... Unfortunately he misplaced the the mac os x disc... Fine, I thought, until the hard drive went a week later...

Anyway, I bought a 320 gig hd for it, and I have just made 2 partitions...one in mac format and the in FAT format for when I run windows on it, whih I would like to do at some point after finding out more on how to do it.. Anyway...

My brother bought a new mac yesterday, and so I thought I would use his mac os x disc... However, it keeps coming up on my macbook that Mac os x cannot be installed on tis computer???

Any ideas on how i can get round this, and what the problem is?

I really appreciate your help here.

thanks, Ash

2. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

hi ash

dvd's that comes with a new mac, checks if it's the "right" machine ..
    therfore it will not work in your's.

you will need mac os X 10.5 or the disc's that were supplied with your's !

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, the OSX discs supplied with a Mac are Mac hardware specific. You can contact Apple for replacement discs for a nominal fee though.

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

The install DVDs that come with Macs are specfic to the purchased machine--you can't use the disks in other machines.

Your only option is to hit the Apple Store and buy a new copy of Leopard.

5. Zerozal macrumors 6502

That's good to know--will Apple provide a replacement disk to a non-original owner? Any idea how much they charge? If they do, that's certainly a better option than buying a new retail version.

6. Ashleyhall19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Cheers guys. Yes very interesting. I have just managed to get a slightly later version of mac os 10.5 I think, and this seems to be working so far...It hasn't completed installation yet but is in the process... Apparently this version of mac os x was bought separately about a year ago... Maybe this is why it is working?

On a side note... Anyone have an idea with regards running windows on a mac... where i can get it from and how to go about setting it up.. Basically i want to transfer all my stuff from my pc and put it on the mac.. But obviously because most of it is in different formats, is prob not readable on a mac, hence wanting to run windows to...

Any ideas? Ash

7. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

when you are finished with the osx install, open boot camp assistent and make a partition in the size you want ..

get win (win7rc1 will be "complicated" for the mac-win drivers) and when you start to install windows, choose format.

here take care to take the right partition as this will be ntfs !

the rest is "easy" ..

whatever you do in windows is like windows.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think someone here once mentioned a figure like $35. Likely country specific too. I don't know how they determine if you are an original owner or even if that matters to them. I haven't needed to do this yet.

The store bought version of OSX is set for all Mac hardware (well supported ones anyways).
    See the MacRumors Guide for booting window on the Mac as a starting point. There numerous tutorials on the web as well if you search for them.

9. Ashleyhall19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you... However, I did a partition when installing mac os... the only option was FAT and not NTFS... is this a problem?

Any idea where I can get windows for the mac from as well?

Cheers dude

Ash

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Mac does not support NTFS natively. You need a 3rd party tool like NTFS-3G.

You get Windows from the store (yes, you have to buy it). It's the same Windows you buy for a Windows machine (Dell, Gateway, etc.).

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You'll have to buy a Windows license, as you should've bought your OS X license.

12. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

no, as i wrote before with the win cd/dvd performing install you choose on installation to format and it will be done by the install disc in seconds to ntfs.

(again, take care on format to choose the right partition !)

13. Ashleyhall19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ntfs

Ok great. Thanks for that. Sorted

14. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Make a separate partion before installing OS X was pointless. To get windows to dual boot just install OS X normally then go to Apps > Utilitys > Bootcamp.

After that you will be able to make a partition and then it will tell you to either insert the windows CD or you can do it later and install Windows.

As for getting Windows and OS X install CDs well you can either get them legally at the store for a price or you can take the not so legal route of downloading them off the net.