Mac OS X Installation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bertomactic, Jun 12, 2016.

1. bertomactic macrumors member

bertomactic

I work in a computer store where we receive used/donated MACs. It is my job to rebuild them. I received a iMAC 20 " with OS 10.5.8

I need to reinstall OS X 10.5.4 over the existing 10.5.8 ( in order to erase any info from the previous owner) however the previous owner has a password that wont allow me to reinstall the other OS X (10.5.4 ) and we don't know who the previous owner is or how to contact him/her. Is there a way to get by the password.

Albert

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

You can't option-boot into the system recovery mode and erase the drive that way?

3. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Boot from the DVD/flash drive by holding Option at startup. If you're installing from an image file on your computer, then it wouldn't work in the first place.

4. bertomactic thread starter macrumors member

bertomactic

garirry,

Actually I am attempting to install MAC 10.5.4 from a disk. But here's what is happening I put the CD into the Drive. I start the computer (cant remember if I used a Command + key combination to get it to boot to the disk ( the computer is at work right now) but the MAC comes on and I can see the desk top and I can also see another window open that represents what's on the disk. I see an option to begin installation but when I press that option I am asked for a password from the previous owner who's name was Deborah, by the way. I get a message telling me installation cant begin unless I enter the password.

Thanks

albert

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Then most likely you just failed booting from the disk. Normally, it should not bring you to the desktop. Try holding the Option key at startup, you should be able to select either the hard drive or the disc to boot from. What Mac model is it by the way (Apple icon > About this Mac in the top menu)?

If you REALLY can't get this to work then you can try holding Command+S at bootup and type in (each line individually, then press enter)
    mount -uw /
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    reboot

You'll be able to set a new admin account. This still should only be temporary, I recommend you reinstall the OS regardless.

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

OP: Put the install CD in the drive, restart the computer, hold the c down during the start up to boot from the CD, and then try a erase and install.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If the iMac still does not boot to the installer DVD, you may have an installer DVD that is improperly burned, or is damaged.
    Do you have an original Apple installer DVD (Big X across a black label, with a purple splash in the background, more or less)
    Leopard DVDs can be quite flaky, and I have seen a lot that just won't boot.
    You can try to burn a copy to a fresh DVD -R. The old DVD might have minor surface issues, and the copy may work.