Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2011
hey guys, i'm really hoping some one can help me out here!
a few hours ago my macbook screen froze and when i tried to restart it this folder with a question mark flashed on screen. I found the mac os x installation cd that came with the laptop and am trying to reinstall but when it tells me to select a destination nothing comes up and i have no idea what do to try find my hardrive! help please!

jhbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2011
hard drive isn't showing up disk utility, just the installation disk...

jhbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2011
well i guess this means I've just lost all my files right? this sucks. any idea on why this happens??? i've had this macbook for 2 years and until a few hours ago i've never had any problems with it

Nov 28, 2010
located
well i guess this means I've just lost all my files right? this sucks. any idea on why this happens??? i've had this macbook for 2 years and until a few hours ago i've never had any problems with it

You could try a file recovery software like Data Rescue or File Salvage, or even a professional file recovery service, if the software does not work.
HDDs can fail anytime, thus you should have at least one backup of your important files. I have two backups of my important files, in case one or even two HDDs fail.
Btw, a friend of mine just had his HDD crash after roughly two years of use. HDDs can fail anytime, thus backup rigorously.

jhbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2011
thanks for the help, this'll teach me to start backing up all my stuff I guess. my applecare is still valid so I guess I'll take it in and get them to replace the hard drive for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.