Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider has posted some subjective feedback from developers regarding the speed of the Mac OS X Intel developer boxes which were sold to developers for $999.

The $999 developer boxes house a 3.6GHz Pentium 4 and a standard PC motherboard, allowing it to boot Windows. As has been hinted previously, nothing definitive about the final Mac-Intel design can be gained from the current developer design.

Previous benchmarks demonstrated how well Rosetta (the PowerPC emulator) faired. And the comments by some developers have commented that PowerPC apps run at approximately 60-70% their native speed -- with some apps, such as Firefox, running at full speed.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Strange that it is so fast already, has Apple really been lying to us all these years?

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Not much news here. I would have like to hear more about compatibility problems with altivec-based programs. I guess we have to wait and see, what will and what won't run in emulation.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Mac-Xpert said:
Not much news here. I would have like to hear more about compatibility problems with altivec-based programs. I guess we have to wait and see, what will and what won't run in emulation.

i think altivec is the cause of the 65% speed reductions...

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Surreal said:
i think altivec is the cause of the 65% speed reductions...
I don't know. I thought that altivec code would not run at all. So apps like Apples own Logic that depend on altivec would probably not run at all under Rosseta. I would like to hear from developers a bit more on that topic.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
mad jew said:
Same. I really can't wait for the laptops to be honest. I reckon they'll be the ones to benefit the most in the short term.

Yeah I can't wait for the Power Macs. Im gonna be in the market about two years from now (maybe 3 actually). And I'm veeeeeeeeewwy anxious to get my first Power Mac.

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston
I knew all this time that Intel Pentiums were better than PowerPC.... next news please...

By this time next year, hopefully, my thinkpad is history and I will have a nice PowerBook running OS X/Intel

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
See now, there are two things that are wrong about the article, in my mindset.

1). They say Windows XP is "blazing." Compared to what? Virtual PC? A 3.6GHz P4 doesn't really "blaze" at XP, unless you're doing basic stuff...I can't see how this system would be anything special compared to any other x86 box, so I don't even see the relevance of this comment.

2). There's absolutely no benchmarks/comparions/etc. You can't compare web browsers...that's just stupid. Perhaps they could provide us with some evidence...

Then again, no one has to do anything, so I should stop complaining :D.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
wishfull thinking?

so, when the macintel ibooks come out next year, and they will be able to dual-boot windows, will they have enough oomph to play windows games? i don't do fps, but i'd still like to be impressed by my graphics on say, guild wars. it's possible we could end up with the best of both worlds, if apple plays it right

goof_ball

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2003
Canada
Is there any speculation what cpu will be used? I know that the developer box contains a Pentium, but I hope that Intel ahs something new and/or different to offer.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Probably a substandard idea, but I've got no shortage...

Does anyone who has the Developer Box think that it's worth $1499 as a PC alone?

While I don't need a new Mac right away, I have for some time been thinking about (1) learning some programming and (2) getting a PC for some PC-only applications.

So, query: How would a Developer Box stack up against a general-production $1499 PC?

(I say $1499, because I'd have to pick up the $500 Dev. Membership in addition to the $999 price tag.)

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Macrumors said:
Previous benchmarks demonstrated how well Rosetta (the PowerPC emulator) faired.

It's "fared," not "faired."

And the comments by some developers have commented that PowerPC apps run at approximately 60-70% their native speed -- with some apps, such as Firefox, running at full speed.

Is that 60-70% of the speed of the app running on a dual 2.7-GHz G5? If the test boxes were dual 2.7 GHz Pentiums, the speed comparisons would be meaningful. I'd say that the clock speed and the number of processors have to be the same to make a valid comparison figure.

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
I love that one of the most touted speed increases in this article is "Web pages seem to just snap onto the screen, like using IE for Windows"

After millions of dollars of development, years of rewriting code, and pushing users yet again to a new platform, could we at long last have found teh snappy!?!?!

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Mac-Xpert said:
I don't know. I thought that altivec code would not run at all. So apps like Apples own Logic that depend on altivec would probably not run at all under Rosseta. I would like to hear from developers a bit more on that topic.

Altivec is not being emulated, but most applications gracefully handle the removal of altivec, and will run in "G3" mode. The notable exceptions are those programs (like iDVD) that require a "G4 or better" processor to run. And most of those applications will already be ported to "universal binaries".

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
RHutch said:
About what do you think that they were lying?

well they have had osx running on intel boxes from the beginning which mean sthat the whole "mega-hertz myth" was just a ruse to buy time until they could switch to intel.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iJaz said:
Strange that it is so fast already, has Apple really been lying to us all these years?

Not lying. Steve's Reality Distortion Field bubble has moved from the PPC to Intel so the speed performance from that enhancement is gone.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
the macintels look promising. the good feedback is taking its toll on my buying pattern though-

1. i want a new imac soon. i think i'm gonna get the next revision
BECAUSE
2. i don't like rev A machines. i've had problems in the past and don't want to go through that again. there are bound to be issues (fans, buzzing, the usual)

3. by the time my 2.3 or 2.5 g5 imac needs to be updated, 99.99% of the issues with the switch over should be taken cafe of.

I think a lot of people feel this way too. thats why i dont think mac sales will suffer between now and the transition. if you need a new mac, get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.