Mac OS X is a virus

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anjinha, Jan 17, 2008.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

This is a comment for the new Macbook Air ad I found on youtube:

The only reason mac dosen't get viruses is because of low market penetration, and due to the fact that their operating system is practically a virus as it is.

Well that explains it :D

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Funny, that was always my criticism of Windows. :rolleyes:

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Am i the only one that is sort of turning my head to the side and going "huh?". How is OS X considered a virus? I mean, it does spread in that quite a few OS X users will try to get their friends to switch to OS X, but in that sense it is more memetic than virulent. The idea of OS X is spread from one person to another. But that same idea is the idea of linux, of solaris, of OS/2. Basically, that you don't have to use Windows. That there are alternatives, for better or for worse.

I do not want to get into yet another Windows/OS X argument, but who here wants to argue that more choices is bad in this context?

5. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

mine too :eek:

6. acxz macrumors regular

It's just another mindless YouTube comment. I wouldn't bother wasting whatever it is you use to argue over the internet for this.

7. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

There was a time I felt insulted when windows users said bad things about Macs and tried to argue with them. But now I just think it's funny. And feel joy about my computer.

8. SimonMW macrumors 6502

Bloody hell, he's right! I woke up this morning and turned on my old Pentium 4 PC and it had OS X on it! Amazing!

9. one1 macrumors 65816

OS X is a virus because once you get it, you can't seem to get rid of it. It spreads to your friends, your family, next thing you know everybody around you has it.

:D

10. John01021988 macrumors 6502

He is right :D

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

And you felt this was threadworthy how? There are always going to be negative comments wherever you look, especially on YouTube. That doesn't mean you should make a thread about it.

12. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Meh it's Youtube you see stuff like this all the time.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Why can't you just leave her alone!? <girly sobbing>

:D

14. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I feel the urge to punch the person every time I hear that piece of crap.

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

TeeHee.

I know exactly what you mean. I remember seeing something once that basically was like this.

'Windows has 90% of the market right? So, with that kind of market penetration, it is fair to assume that 90% or more of the public has used a Windows machine at some point, for a fair amount of time. I would even venture to say that everyone has.

'So, for sake of argument, everyone has used Windows. Now, Apple has what, 7% of the market now? So... that is 7% of people that have used Windows, didn't like Windows, know what is going on in Windows, and have chosen to use OS X. Now, if everyone has used Windows, then 100% of that 7% is an informed population. They know how to compare the 2 OSes since they have used both. Can the same be said of the 90%?

'So, next time a person is fanboying on about Windows, just remember, he probably hasn't used a Mac, at least not since grade school, and as such, should be ignored, and not fed'

16. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't post every negative comments about macs i find on you tube. I posted this one because I thought the virus part was funny. And if I think something is funny or interesting and want to share it I think it's worth a thread. If you don't like it just ignore it.

17. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

non sequitur:

Yellow your avatar is out of control! I love it!

-wee beastie

18. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

A little controversial on the feeding front but a good... what you call it? Analogy? Ah I don't know