Mac OS X Leopard Family Pack

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ElCambo, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ElCambo macrumors regular

Hey, 5 of my friends own mac's and we all want to get leopard. Since the family pack is considerably cheaper and can be installed on 5 pc's is it possible for us to do buy the family pack and just share the 5 comps between us?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not legally, no. The EULA specifies immediate family members only. Also bear in mind that you get 5 licenses but only ONE installation disk.

3. ElCambo thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i know it is only the one disk, but we are ok with that. Other than that is their any disadvantage or is it completely the same as if we were all purchasing the stand alone version.

4. Queso macrumors G4

The family pack is only legal for up to five computers at the same address. If you and your friends share a house go for it. Otherwise you really ought to buy your own copies, even though the family pack will work fine on all of your computers.

Apple trusts its userbase rather than put all that activation crap on OSX like Microsoft do with Windows. The choice is yours, but if too many do that the next version may be a lot more restrictive as a consequence.

5. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

That is totally wrong to do this. Unless your friends are all living with you. Legally you can't do it. But bear in mind if too many people do share the software then Apple will have no choice but to make activation a reality, something we all don't want to mess with.

I bought one single copy because I have 1 mac in my home, but soon i will convert all my other pc's (3 of them) I will then buy the family pack.

As Dr Laura would say , " Now go do the right thing. "

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

7. holydirt macrumors newbie

Suppose me and 4 of my friends wanted to do this in college. We are all in the same residence halls and on Apple's site it says...

"By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location."

So, what do you think? Thanks!

8. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

The Family Pack is the same exact DVD as the Single Pack...

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

But it has a different EULA...

10. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

a family pack can be used for 10

or a

single can be used for 10

its JUST ILLEGAL AND AGAINST EULA

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This is quite a flexible morality you exercise. It is also perfectly possible for me to jump the turn-style at the train station, but it doesn't mean that I do it.;)

I think you're ok here, as long as your friends are at the same address.

12. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Exactly.

Just thought people should know that the family pack and single pack are the same things and that Mac does not require any type of activation.

Not advocating any illegal activities.

Just saying it is nice to not have to worry about all that activation stuff that Microsoft uses.

13. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

what do you think happens when they're no longer at the same address and the end of the year/semester?

I haven't read the EULA specifically, but I guess if it says that you can 'install' it as long as you're living at the same address and nothing about what happens when you 'use' it after moving out, then it'd be allowed. Kind of a grey area though, eh?

14. TimJim macrumors 6502a

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It's impossible to predict future movement patterns, but since the agreement does not have a provision for this, I think we can assume that it's ok at the moment because it allows it. The question is, who keeps the DVD?:eek:;)

16. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Kinda funny how many people lately have been trying to decipher what is legal and what is not...

Seriously seems like you guys are buddy-buddy with Apple.

Loosen up a bit guys. You guys don't have to advocate illegal activities, but at the same time you don't have to act like a bunch of Apple legal stiffs. :cool:

I think we should start a new forum section called the "Moral Compass."

That way you guys could hang out there and tell everyone how to live a perfectly legal and moral life...

(My bet is 99% of the preachers are hypocrites)

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

We aren't going to come after you if you do decide to break the contract, but don't ask for advice about it here, as per the RULES

Ahem;)
    Oh trust me, plenty of that stuff goes on in there:p
    Speak for yourself.

18. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

1. Gotta love a man that disects another users post into multiple quotes. :rolleyes: Haha J/K... (I never do that because it is way to much work...

2. I am not asking for any advice ;)

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I never thought :apple:+c and :apple:+v were so much work:rolleyes::p JK. I like the breaking up of posts because I have a lawyer-like mentality.:eek::p
    The OP has other plans however.;)