Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
I am selling one of my Powerbook G4's, but first I need to format it and install Leopard. I securely wiped the hard drive with disk utility and then began OS X Leopard installation, but it continues to fail with each try. The installer runs for about 5-10 minutes then gives this error...

"The installer could not validate the contents of the 'EpsonPrinterDrivers' package. Click restart to restart your computer and try installing again".

I skip the "checking installation DVD" because it fails around 15%. The actual Leopard install seems to get farther but fails in the end. I must have tried 7 times to install it!

The Leopard disc I am using is a copy of the original retail disc. I used it a few years ago to format an eMac and even used it on this exact Powerbook G4. If you look at my post history, this was also the disc JAMMED in my OTHER Powerbook G4. Now there are some tiny scratches on the disk and I tried cleaning it, but no luck!

Would I be able to install Leopard via target disk mode from an Intel iMac or is the installer still going to fail in the same spot?
[doublepost=1467950888][/doublepost]Darn! It got farther this time but still failed. Around 65% before the beach ball appeared and gave the same error. I kept the screen on by moving the mouse; Not sure if that made a difference.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
When you install, try deselecting printer drivers and only install the required software. If the install still fails after this, there are a few possibilities.

1. The DVD drive on the PBG4 may be bad, try installing on the iMac to see

2. The DVD may be scratched or damaged. If this is the case, I recommend downloading a Leopard image from the Macintosh Garden and creating an install USB

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If it keeps failing at the Printer drivers, if you don't need them, then deselect them and whatever else you don't need. Right before you install, there should be a customize button in the bottom left corner of the install window. Click on that and deselect Printer drivers and whatever else you don't need (like language packs if you only want English). Then try installing again. Skip the disk check, and see how far it gets with the install

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Thanks guys. I was tired and didn't pay attention to the customize install button, hah. I unchecked the printer drivers and it installed just fine.

On a side note, I am surprised Macintosh Garden hosts full versions of OS X.

Reactions: Gamer9430
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.