Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
ahuman7341 said:
Its the Exposé icon.
Now that's a reasonable explanation. Exposé was made into an application in Leopard, makes sense it would need an icon. And it makes sense it looks like the Spaces icon as well.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
Project said:
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/leopard/simplesetup.html

Check the UI at the end of the clip of Leopard Server. The black, transparent, reflective thing thats going on. Has this been used before in Server? It looks sleek. I see Apple using black more and more... iPhoto adjustment panels, Aperture etc...

I hope not, I really am not a big fan of the black interface. Now, if they let you choose between black & white (as in Graphite vs. Blue) with them both the same
glossy style, I'd like a lot.

Plus it would match the computers.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I agree with many people here that what we saw was an enhanced version of Tiger with some Leopard features. We won't see how tightly integrated all the new things are, and quite how it will look for some time I reckon. But I'm sure it'll be sweet when we do see it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Please don't tell me that Exposé and Spaces are going to be omnipresent in the Dock in Leopard - I like to customise my Dock to keep it nice and simple in Panther, I really don't want to have to squeeze in 4 extra permanent icons (Dashboard, Time Machine, Exposé, Spaces) in addition to the Finder and Trash.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
You dont need those icons there. I haven't got the dashboard icon in the dock even though it is considered an app.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
vouder17 said:
You dont need those icons there. I haven't got the dashboard icon in the dock even though it is considered an app.

:eek:

Woops, would you believe I've never even tried dragging it out, I just assumed you couldn't!

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
russell said:
The just have to do something with Finder... have to.

OK, what is the big deal with everyone saying that the Finder MUST be "revamped"?! what is so desperately wrong with it that it has to be redone? the ONLY specific request i have seen is tabs in the finder windows, which really isnt much of a necessity for "revamping" the Finder.

pleeeease fill me in on all the horrible problems of the Finder from your POV. i "find" it to be just fine.

LoveMacMini

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
this is funah said:
OK, what is the big deal with everyone saying that the Finder MUST be "revamped"?! what is so desperately wrong with it that it has to be redone? the ONLY specific request i have seen is tabs in the finder windows, which really isnt much of a necessity for "revamping" the Finder.

pleeeease fill me in on all the horrible problems of the Finder from your POV. i "find" it to be just fine.

no cut command

/argument

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I never use the Dashboard icon because all you need to do is press F12, but the icon looks cool so I leave it in :D (in fact its one of the best icon metaphors i've ever seen - DashCode is just as beautifully done)

I read somewhere that Apple often "make" stuff like Spotlight an application during development as it makes it easier to code that way, then just hide the front end. Id be astounded if there was an Expose icon in the final release.

xper

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
Yeah i have seen alot of people saying that the finder should be altered but noone have ever said what should be done with it.

So you guys/girls who think that the finder should be changed please write your suggestions.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
xper said:
Yeah i have seen alot of people saying that the finder should be altered but noone have ever said what should be done with it.

So you guys/girls who think that the finder should be changed please write your suggestions.

I'll make a whole thread dedicated to that, because it doesn't really fit here.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
xper said:
Well isn't finder a part of the UI, like this thread is all about?

Yeah, but I think this is more about the look of the UI. In any case, I don't have a problem with discussing it here, but if other people want to talk about the Finder, they won't look to do it here...

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Id definitely be interested in your thoughts. Siracusa's epic didnt quite do it for me.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have to go to dinner, so I must make this quick.

Have you ever used Windows Explorer? yes. good.
Have you ever used Finder? Yes. good.

now tell me which one you are more productive with? Which one has tree-view, cut, easy to move folders, etc.
Windows Explorer, that's it. and since we OS X users prefer to have the 'better' apps, um.. FTFF!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
thejadedmonkey said:
I have to go to dinner, so I must make this quick.

Have you ever used Windows Explorer? yes. good.
Have you ever used Finder? Yes. good.

now tell me which one you are more productive with? Which one has tree-view, cut, easy to move folders, etc.
Windows Explorer, that's it. and since we OS X users prefer to have the 'better' apps, um.. FTFF!

Unfortunately, Column View is our Tree View. It works but not very well.

What would make Finder more useful is to allow a window split, so you can leave different parts of the same folder available.

One thing about Finder that truly bothers me is when I'm doing something at least one folder deep, I am returned to the top of the parent folder, not at the position where I was within the folder. It's certainly counterproductive.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
ahuman7341 said:
Its the Exposé icon.
The full Exposé feature would take up 3 icons. If the icon does represent Exposé anyway I'd assume it is the F9 function (all windows that are unminimized and from unhidden applications).

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
this is funah said:

This has been gone over a lot. I'll let John take care of explaining why

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/18

PS- check out Path Finder. It makes Apple's finder look like a toy. A poorly designed toy that is. No company who only has one developer shouldn't be able to crap on Apple's wares so badly yet that is exactly what PF does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.