Mac OS X Leopard / UNIX '03 Goodness

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kaiwai, Dec 25, 2007.

1. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I'm wondering whether the spate of problems people are having with Leopard has to do with the move to make UNIX '03 compliant.

I am assuming that major changes had to be done to how Tiger operates to pass UNIX '03 compliance, I there for wonder whether as a result, there are a whole heap of higher level stuff running ontop of Mac OS X haven't been changed fully to be compatible with the lower layers.

Hence, I'm wondering (yes, a lot of wondering) that the big 350MB 10.5.2 update is so big because of these issues that will get addressed - and thus, require a massive update in size.

2. VoidBoi macrumors regular

3. kaiwai thread starter macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Of course - its in development right now - the weighted size is 350MB for the combo package. Where have you been, its has been in the news for around 1 1/2 weeks.

4. FireArse macrumors 6502a

heh

This is why I'm going to wait a week or two see how others fair with this update, seems a big one.

F

5. VoidBoi macrumors regular

Yep it has.

The way you worded it made it sound like you'd installed the real one. Thought it'd just been released or something. :)

6. kaiwai thread starter macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

True; then again, what's included? lots of rumours - maybe it'll finally deliver what Leopard was meant to be. I'd say that it would be safe to install, the update I'd say has been developed for 4months by the time it comes out, possibly more - 10.5.1 probably only included the 'must fix updates' that were stable enough to made available to the public, the rest were rolled into 10.5.2 for greater development and testing.

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I'm pretty happy with Leopard TBH.

It's a whole heap better at finding stuff on a local network, it starts up faster and apps the new/updated Apple apps bundled with the OS run quicker and work smarter.

I know I'll get some sarcastic responses like “What copy of 10.5 did you get?” but I generally don't think it is as bad as some people are quick to portray.

Any new OS is going to have at least some minor issues, but that is progress for you (and the reasons business customers are prudent and will wait before upgrading).

Of course Apple probably could have got away with selling Tiger for 3 more years and patching now and then, but part of the excitement around Apple at the moment is that their engineers are given the freedom to go and invent tomorrow.