Mac OS X License

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Antowns, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Antowns macrumors member

Hi,

Just interested to know, but before I start and ask away I don't have another Mac and I don't know anyone who does so I wouldn't be doing this. This has just been something I was thinking about last night.

I noticed the installation CD for OS X which i got with my MacBook didn't require any license codes when I re-installed it last night. Aside that, is the CD somehow linked to the machine you get it with as mine has "MacBook" written on it. Would you be able to install this on another machine?

Oh can you tell I'm a newly converted Windows user? :rolleyes:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are no serials, but, the discs will only work with your model. I.E. you cannot use Mac Pro restore discs on yours.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

There are no license codes for OS X, You "could" install it in any other computer and probably nothign woudl happen. But that break UELA. and you should not, If you need to install it in mor ethan one machine you should get the family pack good for 5 computers.

4. Antowns thread starter macrumors member

I see.. I wondered why it had 'MacBook' on it :p

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Apple does it to prevent exactly what you described. They don't want people being able to use restore discs on any computer they so chose. I believe the reason why is because of drivers mainly that would cause massive problems.

6. MacGeek1994 macrumors newbie

Apple is a whole lot more trustworthy than Microsoft. I had to jump through hoops to get a copy of Windows XP Professional to activate that I bought from CDW. I guess because Windows is like $299 and Mac is like $ 149.

I would like to see Microsoft on Windows 7 beat Apples Snow Leopard price of $ 29.90 :)