Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 upgrade to something better/newer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sunnysleeper1, Feb 27, 2016.

1. sunnysleeper1 macrumors newbie

I have Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (2011). How do I upgrade to something better/newer? What OS do you suggest? Web browsers have been crashing regularly. And my Photoshop image files are marred by streaks and lines when displayed on screen. Thanks for any help/advice.

2. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

upgrade through the app store.
    if your mac doesn't support 10.11 then you're stuck on lion unless you hack 10.8+

3. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I have El Capitan on my MBP's, so should work on yours, but the problems you describe are unlikely to be fixed by a change in OS version.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

It would help if you told us:
    - what Mac you have
    - what year it was made
    - how much RAM?
    - what kind of drive is inside?

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Sounds like you have a hardware problem, and upgrading OS is not going to fix it.

Streaks and lines displayed on screen, 2011 (is that your machine's year)... you don't happen to have a 15" macbook pro do you? If so, your GPU may be broken and may be covered by extended warranty.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

What year, what size MBP? I have a hard time believing people still ask for support without mentioning this. That's like telling a mechanic you want to buy new tires without telling them what car you have. They just can't help you without that info, period.

That definitely isn't normal, is not likely to be caused by software.

7. sunnysleeper1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All
    Many thanks for the reply - I am very very much an amateur when it comes to diagnosing computer problems so please forgive if I have left specifications out or can't explain myself fully! Your help is very much appreciated!
    Here are my specs:
    MBP 15in, late 2011
    Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
    I wanted photoshop to have heaps of RAM to use, so I changed from 4GB to 16GB (computer seemed to run fine for over 6 months).
    Thanks again if anyone can suggest a reason for the problems and a solution too!
    throAU - any quick way to test if the GPU is broken?? Thanks.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Where have you been?!?! Lion is so yesteryear. You could have easily run the latest OS if you actually bother to go into App store.

Anyway, it’s very likely you have the infamous GPU issue. Apple will fix it free for you even though the problem will likely return due to design flaw.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

Take your MacBook to a brick-n-mortar Apple store right away, and have them check for GPU problems.

You may qualify for a FREE motherboard replacement...