Mac OS X Lion backup with recovery thumb drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rovitotv, Feb 24, 2012.

1. rovitotv macrumors member

I have a strange situation at work with a Mac Book Pro that has been shared by multiple students. Now the boss wants to upgrade this Mac but nobody knows the passwords to the computer not even the admin password. Can I boot my lion USB thumb drive then perform a backup of /User over the network with scp or with a USB drive? Thanks for the help.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Just boot from a restore or install disk that is equal to or greater than the current OS installed and use the Remove Password utility.

A more round-about method that involves zero tools is to set up a new Admin account with a new password, then install Lion. Then you can delete the second user using the new password. However, once you delete them, you'll be stuck in the same situation.

Man, it's sad to see when people forget their passwords.

3. rovitotv thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!!! Excellent suggestion....

iDecker I totally forgot about that feature. Of course I left my Snow Leopard disks at work but it gave me the idea of resetting the password so I followed this link:
    http://osxdaily.com/2010/08/10/forgot-mac-password-how-to-reset-mac-password/

After this step I created a new admin account. Then I did a "sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/*" so I could read all the files. At this point I followed my normal backup procedure with rsync now I can install Lion!!!!

But your suggestion got me pointed in the right direction. Thanks again.