Mac OS X Lion beta coupled w/ Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Heisler98, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Heisler98 macrumors member

Hey, I might be posting in the wrong category, but please, just humor me.

I have the OS X Lion beta dmg file and was going to install it on a secondary 1 TB drive through a drive reader and boot from it just to see how it is, but I won't be able to do that for a couple of days, and I need to test it out for my boss by Sunday morning. I was wondering whether it was possible to install Lion onto my SSD inside my MacBook Pro and still be able to boot to Snow Leopard while having the lion on it.

And if so, how would I do that?

It's all on one partition...I hate to partition the drive, as I have little experience in that area. If I have to do that to get Lion on it, can someone walk me through it?

If it's important, I have a 250 GB drive w/ only 106.74 GB left. When I dug around in Lion's installer, it only requires 4-someodd gigs, so I should be safe. And, would it possible to access the programs that don't have directories dug inside Mac's filesystem (like just a normal app with a .app extension without data files in the /Library) in Lion? Like share documents between the two operating systems? But that wouldn't work with partitions though, right?

Much appreciated!
    Hunter

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You can only have one OS per partition. No way about it.

So you don't have any old USB drive around? Even an old iPod Classic would do.

3. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

I do have a jailbroken and SSH-capable iPad 32 GB. Possible?

4. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I just made an extra 20GB partition on my MacBook Pro's hard drive and installed Lion onto that. It's really easy to make a new partition in Disk Utility.

Open Disk Utility
    Select your drive e.g. 500GB ST500 Media
    Click the Partition tab
    Click on the Macintosh HD area in the tab
    click the + button
    Now you can select the new partition and set its size to something on the order of 15-20GB
    Click Apply to create the new partition, it will say that Macintosh HD will be shrunk and the new partition will be added

5. simsaladimbamba

6. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

OK. Simple enough.
    Thanks for the help, all of you.

7. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

once you have a partition for lion how do you get it to boot into lion osx or open lion in the partition?

8. ozred macrumors 6502