MAC OS X LION deleted :(!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zotex11, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Zotex11 macrumors newbie

Hello i wish so much that someone out there can help me...

I was going to Redownload windows 7 through bootcamp. (because something went wrong with it)

But the main problem is that when i was going to choose the partition, i delete them all by mistake because i though it was the currently windows 7 ;(!!!. So i actually by mistake deleted the whole MAC OS X LION system and all what i got now are windows 7 !¨¨'

And since all my collage homework were on MAC i am soo sad that i dont have it now !!!. Please someone help me out.. :(

if there is a way to restore Mac OS X please tell
    if there is a way to restore the files please tell :(!
    I just wish i can get it back ive been using a whole lot time with these homeworks and notes which is very neccesary to my exams!!! please help me out :(

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you have access to any other Mac or Windows/Linux PC?

And do you have any kind of backup?

And you hopefully don't use your Mac with the missing partition right now, as you should not, to stop all writing processes and make recovery of data easier.

As your MacBook Pro has Firewire, you can use Target Disk Mode to troubleshoot the MBP's HDD from another Mac or Windows/Linux PC.

If that is not an option, you can get yourself a new HDD (2.5" S-ATA *) and put that into the MBP and install Lion onto that (hopefully), and put your old HDD into an external USB enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs (cost around 10+ €).

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Sorry dude, it's gone. No way whatsoever to restore it unless you use TimeMachine but it sounds like you don't.

5. Chris230291 macrumors member

Dude, it's probably all gone. If you erased the partition containing OS X, the only thing you can try is one of those file recovery utilities. I have no experience with them but i cant image they do any good. It would be worth a try if you really wanted to get your stuff back, but dont get your hopes up.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:( eek sorry. I don't think there's much you can do. If it was an older mac, you could use target mode from another machine to read any contents, but as you've deleted partition tables and such I don't think even that would work.

:(:(

I hope you did the sensible thing and kept backups on an external drive or thumbstick of your coursework / important files.

:(:(:(

7. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

What version of computer do you have and what operating system installed ( or used to be installed )? Do you have original install disks or a bootable recovery flash drive?

Re-installing mac os x is not that hard ... but if you do not have any kind of good backup plan already in place you likely have lost all your files.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

Did you conduct regular backups using Time Machine?

9. eric/ Guest

eric/

Moral of the story:

Don't install Windows. It ruins everything. :D

10. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Haha, I second that :p

11. Zotex11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i am trying a recover my files programs... it is searching some stuff. but i am not sure if it works...

The program is called "Recover My files" and its a full version.

I am not sure but, the files im trying to get are .word since I used office word to type in my homework and notes... and this program are searching all deleted files... but the question is if it can find it :( just hoppe it works !!!

----------

unforuntaly i dont have any back-up files or anything else :(

But i have a Mac book pro i7 core intel 3000 HD (13 inch)

12. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Learn a lesson from this. Use Time Machine regularly and don't install Windows :rolleyes:

13. simsaladimbamba

Since it is Windows software, it might have a hard time reading a format made for Mac OS X (Windows and Mac OS X use different formats / file systems).
    I guess you run that software from the same HDD Mac OS X is installed onto? It is not recommended to do so, as you could overwrite the data, that has been lost, thus recovery is not possible anymore.

I hope you can keep track of all three threads though.

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Follow simsaladimbamba's directions.

Also, don't open three threads asking the exact same thing.

Next time pay attention at the installer. It's very straightforward in telling you what's going to happen before you click OK.

15. Zotex11 thread starter macrumors newbie

:( I though maybe i could use some kind of recovery files stuff

16. Zotex11 thread starter macrumors newbie

How can i buy these programs?? aint these programs only available for mac user? or can it also be downloaded on windows 7 users?

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If it is pure partition troubles and no actual data deletion.

Download testdisk.
    It is a tiny but powerful little partition table rescue program. It can analyze your harddrive and usually is capable of recovering all partition in no time that are just deleted.
    It restores or rewrites a proper partition table and everything is back to normal, as if nothing ever happend.
    If you secure deleted your partitions, which means slow reformatting aka overwriting all files, there is nothing you can do. Everything is gone except for the desperate effort of data recovery software to try and save some single files that haven't been overwritten yet.

If not restore the partition and all is fine no need for fancy data recovery software.

18. Zotex11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just pressed on the link you send there is written win32? I have win64 bit does it make any diffrence? it sounds interresting tho..

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

You can. Time Machine. Unless you didn't set one up/perform backups.

20. Zotex11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant use timemachine on Mac since it has been deleted and I cant aswell use system restore on windows 7 since the last back up is just after the ereasing of MAC OS X :(

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

You should have used Time Machine to back up your device before you had a problem.

I honestly don't think there is anything you can do at this point. It sucks, but stuff happens. Learn from your mistakes. Don't brood on it.

22. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Definitely install Dropbox when you get your mac set up again. You can have all your work copied to the cloud wherever you have an internet connection. It's saved my ass a few times :D

23. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Do a Google search for "recover deleted mac partition" and you'll find some software out there that may be able to do it. I've only recovered deleted Windows partition and I was fairly successful.

Lesson learn, back up your computer especially before you mess with the OS.

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Time Machine would be the only way to go from here. That is, IF you set it up previously, and had the backup on a different drive.

Other than that, you may be able to pay for professional data-recovery services, but those get very pricey quickly.