Mac OS X Lion Installation Issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cbmx1000, Oct 10, 2011.

1. cbmx1000 macrumors newbie

Hello,

So I built a Hackintosh. I made sure that my parts were compatible (save for the graphics card.)
    here are my specs:
    -GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3-iSSD
    -16GB OF CRUCIAL RAM (WORKS PERFECTLY)
    -NVIDIA GTX560Ti
    -INTEL CORE i7 2ND GENERATION

So my resolution isn't great, because Nvidia doesn't offer support yet.

I installed Snow Leopard 10.6.6 fine, I just had to take out my sound and Ethernet cards. I downloaded Lion 10.7. When I open up the Lion installer from Snow Leopard, it says that I need either Intel Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, i7, or Xenon. I have an i7 as listed above, but it doesn't recognize it.

Also, just to make sure, does Lion support the NVIDIA GTX560Ti? I read somewhere on this website that Lion is compatible with all GTX5xx cards, and with Sandy Bridge (2nd generation) processors.

What can I do to get the graphics card recognized in Lion when it installs, and what can I do to get Snow Leopard to recognize my i7?

I have tried booting directly into the Lion Install DVD using iBoot Legacy (which supports the i7), but I got a kernel panic and I read in the info that it had to do with the CPU.

So my graphics card works in Snow Leopard, I just can't get the full 1920x1080 resolution.

All I want to do is install Lion and make it recognize my CPU, get Ethernet, sound, and 1080p resolution to work.

Thank you in advance.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

You aren't going to find help around here with hackintosh issues. I recommend going to the Tonymac site and follow their guide exactly. If you have problems, post in their forums. (I actually had a similar issue to yours so I used Kakewalk instead which worked perfectly, so you might want to try that.)

Oh, and I'm pretty sure iBoot doesn't support lion.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree you won't get much specific hackintosh help here but be sure to read through the merged hackintosh thread. Just don't cave and buy (cough cough) some other OS before allowing time for the online support community to help you but if you are really sick of staring at a bucket of bolts you can always slam ubuntu on there and apply some tweaks to make it look like OS X while you spend time finding the solution to your problem. Dual boot Linux OS X on a hackintosh is infinitely preferable to a certain (cough cough) other OS. ;)

4. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Or you can buy a real used mac and save yourself the headache. It's nice and fun thing to do but ultimately it'll become a frustration because once broken it's very hard to fix... for me at least.