Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demchenko

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
If you decide that you actually want something to do with Launchpad. Then I have some tips to help you tame it. I have thrown my hands up. It's useless for me. You can't remove things from Launchpad with ctr+opt+cmd. This great feature was killed after Lion DP3. The best thing to do is to completely empty launchpad then drag apps into it from scratch. Remember that all new apps purchased from the Mac App store will automatically go there.

Here's the cure. Open terminal cmd+spacebar type in terminal and hit return. When it launches copy this code directly from the post and past it right into the terminal window:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db 'DELETE FROM apps;' && killall Dock

Hit return and close terminal. When you open launchpad again it should be empty. If there is a stray empty folder simply drag an app of any kind into launchpad. Open launch pad. Move the app icon into the empty folder, open the folder, then drag the icon back into the launchpad backdrop and the folder will go away on it's own.

Now you can add just the apps that you want, and arrange them as you want to also.

Is there a way to go back to get your Launchpad apps back? I grid it your way but now want to go back and get them back. Any idea how to do this?

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Is there a way to go back to get your Launchpad apps back? I grid it your way but now want to go back and get them back. Any idea how to do this?

Drag them all back in from Finder.... drag them over the Launchpad icon on the dock. It works great! I was able to get rid of all my junk off there!!! YAY!!!!

Only drawback is, if you decide later on you wanna get rid of something off there, you have to start all over again from scratch. You can not delete the icon off the Launch Pad at all...

rceee

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
New Orleans
I did the method of removing the database, which worked in that my launchpad now shows as empty (except for a few folders).

The problem is, now I cannot add anything to launchpad. I put the Launchpad icon back on my dock, but when I drag other icons on top of it, when I let go, they just spring back to wherever they originally were.

How do I add stuff back now??

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
I have had 0 problems with Launchpad. Gruber said Apple considered getting rid of the desktop in favor of Launchpad being permanent. I wish they had!

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Why should I have to install an app to fix a blatant bug? Speaking of sounding like Windows users... can you imagine the heyday Mac users would have if you had to install an app to remove something from your Windows Start Menu? Apple needs to fix this, not require that I hunt down a work around to remove dozens of redundant icons.

bpodUK

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
Are you looking for an answer to the problem, or are you just being a geek and want to moan about the best OS in the world ? Maybe you should switch to windows and you can have a gripe every second of the day, get a grip.

hotoru

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Remove App from Folder?

I accidentally dragged an app into the wrong folder in Launchpad. Now I cannot seem to remove it. I tried dragging outside the folder window but it just springs back to folder. It has same behavior if apps are in "jiggle" mode or not. Any suggestions?

diLyon

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Applications Folder Easy

If you're like me you like the applications folder and if you want it back its easy.

-Open Finder
-Right-click on applications > get info
-Drag the icon in the "get Info" window to the right side of the dock.

That's it!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I normally just use Spotlight, but on my MacBook I've added a "Start Menu" by making a folder of aliases (which is what Windows "Start Menu is) and putting it in the dock. Much cleaner than Launchpad or Application folder.

Attachments

• Microsoft Word.jpg
    Microsoft Word.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 53
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.