Mac OS X Lion Quicktime

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SweeneyD24, Jul 22, 2011.

1. SweeneyD24 macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Hey guys!

I currently upgraded to Mac OS X Lion and i'm really happy to have done so!
    So far i'm really happy with the new os and its new features!
    I haven't completely used or tested all the new features but i'll take my time and run through all that! :)

The whole track pad has changed and i kinda miss the multi touch gesture to switch to exposé a little bit though!
    However it'll take a little while to get used to the new trackpad features!

Anyway, the point is that, I think Lion comes with Quicktime 10.1(501) and it doesn't open .mkv files! Also there are some .avi files it doesn't open and Quicktime asks you to open these .avi file with Quicktime 7.
    The other .avi files play perfectly on Quicktime
    I've already installed Perian long ago.
    That's the only problem i've encountered so far!

Do any of you guys know how i can fix that?
    Thnx!

2. Salecius macrumors newbie

Salecius

I'm having the same problem. I was using Perian on Snow Leopard and I decided to upgrade to Lion, although I was a bit afraid that I might face some problems afterwards. Just as I suspected, I couldn't play MKV files which BTW worked smoothly on Snow Leopard using Quicktime X and Perian. I re-installed Perian and in an unexpected turn of events I was propted to download Quicktime 7! I guess we should just wait for a Perian update to solve these issues.

Regarding the Exposé gesture, you can still use it on Lion. Just go to System Preferences>Trackpad>More Gestures> and check App Exposé :)

3. SweeneyD24 thread starter macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

That's what i was thinking, the best thing to do is wait for Perian to come with an update! You can use DivX Player to open the .mkv files for the time being!

Hey!Thnx man! It didn't occur to me to look there.. i guess i'm still a little bit confused with all these changes! :)

Have you encountered any other problems with Lion?

4. Salecius macrumors newbie

Salecius

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Still nothing. Although I'm a bit annoyed by the newly adapted monochromic theme. I guess I'll have to get used to it. Thanks for the suggestion BTW.

5. SweeneyD24 thread starter macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Yep!Anyway software update will notify you once Perian releases an update!
    I kinda like it! :) I like the new look in Lion!The one thing i really like about mac os is that changes don't necessarily means complications!lol

No worries man, i'm glad if it did help you!
    I don't really like VLC!