Mac OS X Lion Recovery Chooses Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by brennan1654, Jul 18, 2013.

1. brennan1654 macrumors newbie

Today I wanted to do a fresh recovery, of my Macbook Pro running OS X Lion (NOT MOUNTAIN LION). So I booted up while holding Command+R and it showed me the OS X Utilities menu. From there I deleted the partition Macintosh HD, and then clicked the Reinstall OS X button. Instead of choosing Lion to install, it chose Mountain Lion. I DO NOT OWN MOUNTAIN LION, so there is no way I can install it??????? PLEASEEEEEEE HELP. :eek::eek::eek:

2. mwhities macrumors 6502a

You "could" install it and it'd be alright.

If you want to stay clean, not sure. Do you have the install discs? If so, start the install, do a full HD format and install Lion. That "should" install a Lion recovery instead of the Mountain Lion.

Good luck.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If a command-r is installing Mountain Lion, the either your machine came with ML or you installed ML at some point.

What year is your machine and what OS did it come with?

If it came from Apple with Lion, then you upgraded to ML, that would explain what you are seeing. If this is the case you will need to get rid of the ML recovery partition to get back to Lion. To do that do a command-option-r boot (all three keys at once). That will get you to Internet Recovery. From there start Disk Util and select the drive name at the top (like Seagate 750GB or whatever) and erase the entire disk. Once that is done, just click install and tou will get Lion.

Make sure you have a good backup before you do this.