Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I searched the forum and didn't get any results searching "Reinstalling Lion" so I am going to ask you how we reinstall Lion??

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
What seems to be the problem (i.e. why are you reinstalling Lion)? :)

Are you installing Lion on a machine that is currently running Lion, or not (e.g. the HD was replaced and doesn't currently have an OS)?

Also, did this machine come shipped with Lion, or was it upgraded?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Assuming you want to clean install (follow these steps; I just did this a few hours ago).

1. BACK UP ANYTHING IMPORTANT!!!! I forgot to backup my music (luckily I found a free program to copy all my music back from my iPod or else I was screwed!) BACK IT UP NOW! If you don't want to do a Time Machine file, then just copy your files that you want (E.G. iTunes Folder, important documents).

2. Restart/boot-up your computer. Press and hold Command+R until a menu comes up asking you what language you want. Choose what Language you want and hit continue.

3. Choose "Disk Ultility". Choose your Mac OS X partition, choose the "Erase" tab, then choose "Erase"

9ibxhx.png

4. Exit out of the Disk Utility and Choose "Reinstall Lion".

5. Follow the instructions given.

Hope I helped!

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Assuming you want to clean install (follow these steps; I just did this a few hours ago).

1. BACK UP ANYTHING IMPORTANT!!!! I forgot to backup my music (luckily I found a free program to copy all my music back from my iPod or else I was screwed!) BACK IT UP NOW! If you don't want to do a Time Machine file, then just copy your files that you want (E.G. iTunes Folder, important documents).

2. Restart/boot-up your computer. Press and hold Command+R until a menu comes up asking you what language you want. Choose what Language you want and hit continue.

3. Choose "Disk Ultility". Choose your Mac OS X partition, choose the "Erase" tab, then choose "Erase"

4. Exit out of the Disk Utility and Choose "Reinstall Lion".

5. Follow the instructions given.

Hope I helped!

Or you can choose Security options to erase your data 1, 3, or 7 times to ensure no one can recover your files.

1= Fast but not as effective
3= In the middle
7= Slow but effective

*Results may vary

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
My questions a little different but it seemed pointless to start a new thread.

I want to do a clean install, since i only upgraded from SL and wondered if it will help speed things up a little (lion has definitely been slower IMO)

But obviously i don't want to lose my files, so I could just restore from time machine, but would restoring from time machine defeat the object of a clean install, since the backup is pre-clean install, and it'll be putting those files back?

Equally i don't want to have to back up my files and restore them manually because that was one of the things i disliked most about windows

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But obviously i don't want to lose my files, so I could just restore from time machine, but would restoring from time machine defeat the object of a clean install, since the backup is pre-clean install, and it'll be putting those files back?

Equally i don't want to have to back up my files and restore them manually because that was one of the things i disliked most about windows.

Restoring from TM would pretty much put you right back where you are now. A true "clean" install is a fresh OS install followed by manual reinstall of all apps and settings.

That said, unless you installed some app that truly jacked up your system, you really should not need to ever do a fresh install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.